TWENTY-TWO

XXI

XXI. GLITTER ON THE FLOOR BEFORE THE PARTY

Natasha dropped Amara's hand when the cab pulled up to the building. They both got out of the car and walked in.

"Oh, My God!" A voice says. "Is that Ali?" Amara looked at Natasha who was smiling. She raised her eyebrows at the redhead who'd taken off her wig and put it in her purse. You know, like a badass. Nat shrugged and walked further into the club.

"ALI!" a woman voice says, after Nat ordered them drinks, and headed to a table. "Get over here girl"

"Oh my goodness," Amara whispers. "You're a Night club lesbian?"

"I didn't know they were here," Nat replies. "I met them when I was alone and bored. I thought they were NYC only clubbers but apparently not."

"They know you on a middle name basis, sweetheart, you gotta introduce me." Natasha took her hand and led her to the table where the women sat.

"Girls, this is Eve," Natasha says. "The love of my life." Amara's heart flutters, Nat'd never called her that before. She wasn't sure if this was real or not.

"Eve you got lucky!" A woman says.

"I am fully aware," She says, lacing her and Nat's fingers together. They talked with the girls for a while, but the women moved on to other places.

"C'mon," Nat says, Bringing Amara to the bar. "Let's get you drunk."

After a few shots (Only two), Amara was in the dancing mood, and she dragged Natasha onto the floor.

"Ooh," Nata says. "You're fun when you're drunk."

"Shush," Amara says, being spun by Natasha, who was actually a good swing dancer. Amara was good too, she'd won a few championships dancing with a male partner. She wished that she could lead, but she'd never learned.

"TEN!" The music stopped as everyone was starting to count down.

"NINE!" Amara joined in, Natasha lacing her fingers with her girlfriend's.

"EIGHT!" More women cheered.

"SEVEN!" Natasha joined in, needing a bit of convincing from Amara.

"SIX! FIVE! FOUR!" The women all cheered excitedly, Natasha squeezing Amara's hand, wishing for more contact.

"THREE! TWO!" People prepared to kiss their partners, and for the first time, Natasha and Amara weren't alone on New years the first time in a while.

"ONE!" Natasha kissed her girlfriend, despite the cheers that seemed to erupt from every building. Everything seemed to melt away and the world seemed to stop. They were in love, and nobody could interrupt them.

☾☼☽

Amara stood in the bathroom, scowling at her reflection. she wore a tee-shirt and pajama pants,

"Hey," Natasha says, wrapping her arms around Amara from behind.

"Why?" Amara asks.

"Why what?"

"I'm going back to work today, and I have a hickey."

"I wonder who gave that to you," Natasha says, nuzzling Amara's neck.

"Babe," Amara whines. "I don't have a turtleneck," Natasha walked away, coming back in in a moment carrying an orange turtleneck sweater.

"Boom," Nat says. She looked at Amara who's eyes had bits of silver in them, her hair becoming a little lighter.

"Mmmm, I love you, you know that?"

"I think I'm aware."

☾☼☽

"Nope," Natasha says. "I don't do that kind of thing."

"With me you do," Amara says. She wiggles her eyebrows and fixes her jacket. She wore a brown jacket, a red scarf, and a black hat. Natasha wore a gray sweater over a white shirt, a long matching coat over top. She wore black pants, a brown belt, and some brown wedged booties.

"two pairs of skates please," Amara says.

"Of course," The woman at the front says, asking their shoe sizes and getting them the ice skates.

"I can do a lot of things, but I can't-" She yelps, trying to get balanced while clinging to Amara, who laughs and grabs the wall for support.

"Baby, C'mon, you can do this," Amara says, grabbing her hand and pushing off the wall. They attempt to not die (Neither of them succeeding and falling a few times).

They skated in circles. The two women were not alone, and many people were skating. There were couples, kids, and single people. There were mostly straight couples who could do PDAs. They could kiss and touch, they could hold hands without fear.

Both of the women wished they could be accepted, they wished they could hold hands without getting dirty looks. They wished for a lot of things, but they weren't gonna get them.

"I had fun," Natasha says, putting her purse on the table and flopping o the couch. Amara laid down on top of her, kissing her as they cuddle. Amara played with Natasha's hair as they laid there.

It would be an embrace they would come to miss.

END OF PART TWO