CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

XVIII

XVIII. THE SECOND BREAKING POINT

OR

XVIII. WHERE'S A PEPPER WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

"I'm going to work, do you need anything from the store? I'll stop by on my way home," Amara asks, grabbing her purse. 

"No, you have a good day, I love you," Natasha replies. 

"If you think of anything, text me. I'm going," Amara says, going out the door. So, no, things have not gotten better between them. Natasha was stricken with guilt, but she still was trying to figure out how to fix it.  

Amara got in a cab and headed to work, jotting down the grocery list (Things she needed that hadn't been put already on a list). She knew that Natasha felt bad, but she didn't care. She wanted an apology, and if she had to wait she would wait. She could be angry with Natasha, but she would not give her the benefit of the doubt. 

Walking into work, Clint began walking next to her, he'd previously been speaking with the receptionist. His name was Charlie and he was asking Clint for marriage advice. 

"Hey, What's up?" Clint asks. "Fight status?"

"Incomplete, she's yet to, apologize," Amara says, walking into the elevator. 

"I'm about to go yell at her," Clint says. 

"Yeah, do that," Amara deadpans sarcastically. "She'll probably take you down."

"Wise woman," Clint says. 

"Yeah, I don't want you to die."

"She wouldn't kill me."

"Don't have too high of hopes bud."

☾☼☽

When Amara came home, the house was dimly lit, candles everywhere. She sighs, setting her keys and the mail down. She didn't end up going to the store, she had to work late. 

"I'm Home!" Amara calls, deciding whether or not to walk further into the apartment. "I brought the mail." With no response, she walked further into the apartment, seeing Natasha in the kitchen, hair in a messy braid, cooking dinner - something she's never done before. 

"Hey baby," Nat says, setting down her spatula and walking over to her girlfriend. 

"What are you doing?"  Natasha smiles, passing Amara a  glass of wine. 

"Making things up to you," Nat says. Amara smiles smugly, crossing her arms. 

"And why is that?" Amara asks. 

 "Because I love you, and I'm sorry," Natasha says, giving puppy dog eyes. 

"Thank you," Amara says. "I love you too." She kisses her, Natasha taking her hips and pulling her close. Amara wraps her arms around Natasha's neck. After breaking away, they pressed their foreheads together, noses touching. 

Funny, how a simple touch that the two had felt so many times before can leave them utterly breathless.  Natasha pulled away from the embrace walking back to the stove. 

"What are you making me?" Amara asks. 

"Your favorite, I found a recipe, and I hope it's good. I'm also baking some potatoes. and I'm gonna make a salad." She's proud of herself, grinning. She takes out a knife and a cutting board and begins cutting some vegetables, making Amara cringe. "What?"

"Babe, for one, that's not how you hold a knife, and you're going to cut off your fingers. So let me show you how, and then I'll leave the room so I don't cringe myself to death." She comes up behind Natasha and shows her how to properly cut vegetables. Then she leaves and sets the table. 

"Hey!" Natasha says. 

"What?" Amara asks, placing a fork down. 

"I love you,"

"Aw, I love you too Nat, are you feeling deprived of affection?"

"Maybe," She says. Amara walks over and kisses her head, walking past her and grabbing some candles to set on the table. She then sits on the counter, a glass of wine in hand. 

"What are you thinking about?" Natasha asks. 

"I think you would look good blonde."

"Oh yeah?" Natasha says, taking the potatoes out of the oven and walking to set them on the table. "Maybe if we go undercover and I become a fugitive or something." Amara laughs and helps Natasha bring food out. 

☾☼☽

It's times like these: dinner with your love, a meal with the wife, a relaxing night in a lab somewhere. It's things that some people overlook, things that people will miss when those things are no longer possible. 

Clint was on a date with Laura, in a place where they wouldn't have been found by any SHIELD agent. It was fun to get away from the baby for a bit, they left him with Laura's mom. Clint was lucky. Lucky to have a family, lucky to have Natasha, lucky to work for SHIELD. He was lucky that Fury kept his wife out of the files. He was grateful as hell too. 

Laura knew what Clint sacrificed. She was happy to have him, and she was working hard to be a good wife, to be safe. When Clint was gone, she missed him like hell, and she treasured the moments when they were together. 

They caught up with each other over a meal, a delicious one at that. Clint was back for the weekend, he'd come back to work on Monday. He would come home for the holidays. He invited Natasha and Amara for thanksgiving but they have to work that day. They were gonna come over for Christmas dinner. 

Meanwhile, a man we haven't met quite yet worked in his lab, enhancing something he's worked on many many times before. He wouldn't stop, he didn't need to. The work he was doing was busywork, grief still struck him though it happened 14 years ago. Of course, his stubborn ass didn't realize it as grief, much more of an emotion he constantly fought with. 

He wasn't having his usual one night stand, he was listening to ACDC, and meddling with his machines. A blonde woman walks down the stairs and brings him something. 

"Thank you Pep," he says. 

"Of course sir. I'm gonna head home," She says. The man nods. 

"Bye, have a nice night." She leaves and grabs her bag. 

The three duos have no idea what lies ahead of them. There will be more arguments, more dinners, more dates. But all of them do not know that something will throw off each and every one of these things.