CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

XXIX

XXIX. CITY OF ANGELS

Amara and Natasha were sitting on the couch, reading as their feet were touching. Soft music was playing in the background, a perfect afternoon for the two of them. Maddison was out with some friends, and-

The phone began ringing, Amara jumped up to grab it. She picked it up, seeing it was from SHIELD.

Moments of her being on the phone pass. Her face falls and she lets out a slight gasp. "Thanks, we'll be right over."

"What happened?" Natasha asks.

"I think Tony Stark is dead," She says.

"What?"

"Where was he?" Amara asks. People were storming the SHIELD building, assuming they had something to do with this. Natasha, Amara, and Clint were trying to get through, but it seemed that every press in the world was there.

"He was demonstrating weapons in Afganistan," Clint says. They were still trying to get through, people were being idiots.

"SHUT UP!" Amara barks. "GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY." It seems to work, people part, allowing them to walk through.

"Wow," Clint exhales, once the doors close. "badassery."

"You're married Clint," Natasha says. "And she's gay."

"And I'm engaged to her," Amara singsongs.

"Thank you all for coming," Fury says. "We need to fix this."

"Uh, yeah," Amara says. "One more minute out there and I might've stabbed someone."

"Oh, I don't blame you," Fury says. "But if we had that, SHIELD would never recover." He places a file on the table in front of them.

"Stark's done some shitty stuff," Natasha says, thumbing through the file.

"Yes. This isn't your task." Fury hands the file to Amara. "I need you to pinpoint the place where people wanted to kill him."

"All times?" Amara asks, thumbing through his file. "He's a jackass."

"The exact moment," Fury states. "Natasha, I need you to find out if there's any possibility that he was alive. And Clint, I need you to call and talk to any relative of his, tell them that there's a chance he's alive, and we're doing everything we can. That includes Virginia Potts and Harold Hogan."

"Who?" Amara asks.

"I believe he called them Pepper and Happy?" Fury says.

"Oh!" Clint says. "I remember them. I'm surprised-" Amara places a hand on his arm and gives him a look. She shakes her head at him and takes the file, walking into her office.

"How are you doing?" Natasha asks after a while. The SHIELD building was like a time hole, never knowing how many hours pass. Natasha was carrying a mug, prepared to give it to him.

"My God, this man," Amara says, rubbing her temples. Natasha hands her the mug, Amara takes it and takes a sip, getting vodka instead of coffee. "Why was this my task?"

"Because Fury knows you're gay so you won't be attracted to him?"

"Why is anyone attracted to him?" Amara asks. "I want to strangle him."

"Didn't you meet him?" Natasha asks. "We had a mission, new years eve."

"I had to dance with him," Amara whines. "He hit on me." She groans and leans back, her hands in her hair. Natasha took a seat at the edge of Amara's desk.

"Let me see," Natasha says.

"No, I will not let you suffer through this like I have to," Amara says. Natasha laughs slightly and kisses her, putting her fingers in Amara's hair.

"I love you," Natasha whispers into the kiss, feeling Amara's smile.

"I love you too," She whispers, pulling away. "As much as I hate to admit it, I do enjoy tracking this asshole."

"Spill," Natasha says.

"His parents died in 1991. I find it interesting because every news article said that it was a car accident, but basic autopsies on the Starks prove that Maria was strangled. For some reason, that was hidden from the general public, but I did some digging and I found that file. But I don't know if it's true."

"maybe it's propaganda?" Natasha says. "I feel like if they knew that, it would be much bigger than just what it was you know?"

"Yeah, it's probably nothing," Amara says. "But I still think it's weird."

"It is weird," Natasha says. "But I think we should go home."

"Yeah, we can," Amara says, standing. "And Maddison's at a sleepover, so..."

"I love you," Natasha says. Amara's feet were in her lap. They were eating ice cream and Oreos, occasionally eating some whipped cream from the can.

"I love you too," Amara says, leaning forward to kiss the whipped cream off of Natasha's nose.

"We haven't done this since Maddison moved in," Natasha says. Amara bites her lip, grabbing the remote and flipping to some sappy rom-com.

"Ah," Amara says. "Now it's like when we lived alone."

"Yep."

"Can I ask you something?" Amara asks. She had positioned herself with her head on Natasha's chest.

"Anything. I'm an open book."

"When we talked about having a kid," Amara says. "I want to get married first, and then I think we should get a doner."

"Yeah," Natasha says. "Yeah. I want to have a baby with you." Amara stands up and walks to the kitchen, grabbing two glasses.

"Cheers to us," She says, handing her a glass, now full of champagne. "And to everything that may come. Good or bad, I'm here."

"And if we fell a bit lost," Natasha says. "We should remember, we're all lost, my love."

Amara takes a drink and kisses Natasha, wrapping her arms around her neck. This was an embrace that had been shared between them so many times before, but this time it was different. It was a promise. It was a promise they would keep, a vow that needed not to be spoken. A quite simple pledge, but quite unbreakable.

END OF PART THREE