CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

XVII

XVII. THE FIRST BREAKING POINT 

A week. A week had passed since Natasha had gone on her mission. It was torture, Natasha missing from her for so long. She longed to run her fingers through her hair and have the feeling of kisses along her neck. It'd been a week since they'd cuddled on the couch since they'd sparred in SHIELD since they'd done anything.

Maria had tried to take her out, but she wasn't having much fun, she missed Natasha. There was no word from her, so she was worried as hell. And when she came home it just made Amara worse.

Amara was seated on the couch, flipping through channels, when the door opened, and a pale Natasha stumbled in.

"Hey baby," Amara says, standing and hugging Natasha. She pulled away from said hug when she felt warmth on her stomach. She looked down and saw Natasha's side was bloodied, blood seeping through the fabric. "Natasha?" She was extremely pale, and Amara helped her over to the couch.

"Hey, baby, What's going on?" Natasha asks, touching the now kneeling Amara's face.

"I gotta get a first aid kit okay? Did you get shot?"

"I'm okay baby," Natasha mumbles, coughing. A bit of blood comes up, and Amara sprints to the bathroom.

"Okay, Okay, Okay, we can fix this," Amara says. "Okay, so let's take off your suit, she says trying to get the now soaked and sticky fabric unzipped from Natasha's body. She was wearing a red lacy underwear set, but Amara couldn't focus on that. She had to see about the three gunshot wounds in Natasha's stomach. Luckily, they weren't in any valuable spots and the suit was tight enough for her to not lose too much blood, but still, Amara was panicking.

"Baby?" Natasha mutters as Amara sterilizes the forceps she found in a nail kit.

"This is gonna sting a bit," Amara says. "But then again, you got shot three times so everything is gonna sting a bit okay?" Attempting to fix a shaky hand, Amara takes the bullets out, and quickly sterilizes a needle to sew up the wounds before the love of her life can bleed to death. As Natasha began to fade out of consciousness, Amara found herself panicking, even more, doing some google searches, and just not having a good time.

Amara must've fallen asleep on the floor next to Natasha, but she was awoken by Natasha brushing her face with her hand. "Go to bed baby," Nat whispers.

"No."

"Go to sleep, I'm okay," Natasha whispers.

"No, I don't want you to leave me," She mutters groggily.

"I'm not going anywhere. Go to bed," She demands.

"Yes ma'am," Amara says, standing and walking off, rubbing her eyes.

☾☼☽

"I got no phone call, no text, nothing. What if you died?" Amara demands. Natasha made a fairly swift recovery, she wasn't going back to work for a while though. Amara was fuming.

"I didn't die. I'm fine," Natasha says back.

"You aren't fine when you come home and have three bullets in your stomach. That is not fine!" She crosses her arms.

"I'm walking around, see I'm okay!" Natasha was beginning to be defensive too.

"No! You can't say that you're fine when you come home after a week of no contact covered in your own blood. It's not okay. You should've called me. You should have gone to the hospital. I'm your emergency contact!"

"I was on a quinjet coming home, I couldn't call you! And if I did, there was nothing you could do, it would just give you mindless worry. I didn't go to the hospital because the nurses and people ask too many questions! And, going to the ER is far too expensive-"

"This is why we have health insurance Natasha," Amara says, annoyance dripping off every word.

"I was fine without going to the hospital!"

"Yes, but still. You don't seem to care about yourself. You're so obsessed with wiping the red from your ledger, and you can't realize that it doesn't matter. I don't care about the red in your stupid ledger. Doesn't that matter?"

"Well maybe if you thought about someone other than yourself, you'd realize I have other people in my life that do care!" Natasha snaps, regretting it instantly.

"Wow, Okay," Amara says, turning away. "I'm gonna go while you let that sink in."

"Amara wait-" She was cut off by the door to the bedroom slamming. Natasha knew not to bother her, Amara didn't get angry easily.

When the two had a fight, the aftermath would be passive-aggressive nonsense. Amara would purposefully leave the house with a dress that teased Natasha when she wouldn't be going out with her. It would always be passive-aggressive, like Natasha growing out her nails or Amara purposefully stealing the blankets, Amara taking extra long showers, or eating Natasha's cereal. It would almost be funny.

Natasha hated it when Amara was mad at her. She would get the silent treatment but also leave little hints. Both were quite passive-aggressive when angry people, but Amara was subtle bout it, and it drove Natasha mad. But Amara wouldn't be talking to Natasha until she apologized, and she didn't want to do it too prematurely.

She needed a grand romantic gesture. One that wouldn't be too much, something that would make up for the shitty excuses and mess-ups, something that would fix the pushing Amara away, and the mess she made.