Imagination

We lie in bed on a winter's night with liquor intertwined with our whispers.

We speak of laying paint on the walls of our imaginary home.

We speak of our imaginary child that'll run throughout the bends and twists of the rooms and hallways.

We laugh at the shared thoughts of having food fights in our imaginary kitchen.

We let our eyes meet when we speak of placing rings around one another's finger.

We smile before our lips graze ever so slightly with imaginary passion.

Imagination is powerful, my Dear

Though, I only wish you spoke with fabricated words when you caressed my cheek and took a hammer to my heart.

Chiseling it into the art of betrayal with hands that lack empathy and a mind that lacks purity.

I only wish I was enough to have caused you to hesitate.

Did you hesitate?

Did you imagine she was me when you trailed your fingers along her skin?

I swallowed my suspicions when you pulled away for the very first time.

I held my tongue when you spoke quiet lies into my ear.

I crossed my fingers when you would depart as if luck could have been our saviour.

I imprisoned my tears behind my eyelids when I would beg for you to tell me if I had done you wrong.

Have I done you wrong?

Had I have not laid my head to my pillow and fallen asleep that night, would you have not gone like lightning into her arms?

If I had breathed confessions of my love into your neck a little bit more, would you have not placed your lips to hers?

I shall digress, though do not leave just yet.

I wait patiently but do know that this will wear thin.

As you lose me slowly and this you know, you cannot pull anymore stings to tempt me to return.

The hands of the clock that is hung above me like a noose, it shifts dreadfully with every minute and hour that drags on.

Why are you so quiet?

Has the realization of you being alone finally muted you?

Or are you in denial that we are deteriorating?

Either way you cannot run or cowar from this.

Please, I ask only this of you.

Was it worth it?