Home life

December 7th 1941

Was the day pearl harbour got boomed by the Japanese. It was the day that you decided you needed to join the war that was about to take place.
Being a 20 year old girl, you shouldn't be thinking about going to help fight a war, but you weren't like most 20 year old girls. You lived in a house up in the mountain tops, you went hunting with your father and brothers all the time, your sisters were definitely not like you, they loved dressing up, going out with boys, but for you it wasn't your kinda of thing.
You knew how to shot a weapon, your oldest brother taught you how to when you were just a little girl, and here you are years down the track, firing a rifle. You had a good eye, you could shot things while moving, it just came natural to you. Your father was proud of you. Your mother on the other hand, well she just tolerated it.
You were a girl living in Montana, living your best life. Or that was until the japs decided to fuck it all up for everyone.
You knew your brothers were going to sign up for the war. You had three boys and two sisters making you a family of six, plus your mother and father, it made 8. Life in the Goldstone house was never quite, it was always busy and noisy.
You were the third eldest in the family.
You had your oldest brother Elliot who was 24, then you had Quinn who was 22, then came you at 20, after you came your sister Hazel who was 18, then came Eugene at 17 and last but not least the baby of the Goldstones, Abby who was 15.
What you would kill to be 15 again you thought as you listened to the news about pearl Harbour.

——————————————————

"Olivia Goldstone what is this!" You sighed and turned around to see your mother standing in the doorframe to the living room, she had a white envelope in her hand. You froze. You knew exactly what that was and who it was from.
"Olivia do not make me ask again!" Your mother yelled at you. Elliot and Quinn looked at you with confused faces. You rolled your eyes and looked back at your mother.
"Well what does it look like" you asked sarcastically.
"Drop that attitude young lady, no man will take that I tell you now!" She snapped at you. You rolled your eyes, that's all she wants from you, for you to get married and have babies. Hell no you thought, not yet, you weren't ready to do all that stuff just yet.
"Well!" She yelled again. You didn't answer her, you got up off the sofa and walked over to her and took the envelope.
"I asked to join the Airborne, to go to war" you said and went to walk past her but she stopped you.
"You Will do no such thing Olivia, you will not walk around with a bunch of boys while fighting! You could die for goodness sacks" you sighed and rolled your eyes again, something you did all to often.
"Well last time I looked mother, I'm 20 and not 5, so I can actually do what I like!" You raised your voice at her, your brothers watched it all unfold.
You stormed past your mother and went to your room. You needed to read the letter.

Once you had gotten to your room you sat on your bed, you sat there looking at the envelope, you needed to know if they accepted you or not.
You took the envelope and ripped it open, you started to scan the letter.

Dear miss Goldstone

I am writing to you to inform and congratulate you.
We have decided to let you join the 101st Airborne as a sniper, at your request. We are looking forward to meeting you Miss Goldstone, we understand that you will be the only Female but we are getting things read for you, I am putting you in as a Corporal. When you get to Canp Toccoa in Georgia you will be known as Corporal Goldstone.
I do look forward to seeing you and observing your skills. From what you have told us, you are a great shot, and that's exactly what we are looking for.
We will see you in one week Miss Goldstone.
Kind regards
Rob Sink

You couldn't believe it... you just got accepted into the Airborne, you thought you wouldn't even get a looking at, being female and all.
"You got in?" You looked up to see your father. He had a smile on his face, he wasn't going to stop you from going, he knew you to well to know not to stop you.
"I got in dad! I got in!" You screamed and jumped off your bed to hug him. He hugged you back and chuckled.
"That's my girl, I hear your mother didn't take it to well, which we both already knew" you nodded your head at your father.
"Well I know you are going to do great things out there Liv, just like Elliot and Quinn, You three are gifted with a talent, I want you to use that Talent Liv, show those guys up! I know you will, you are brave, strong and you are very fit, you will run circles around them" you chuckled at your father, you were your father's favourite, you weren't going to sugar coat it, you were and still are his little princess, he doesn't care what you do in life, as long as you are happy then he's happy.
"Thanks dad, I'm going to try my damn hardest" your father kissed you on the check and left you it.

You didn't go down for dinner, you were to busy packing. You were to excited to even think about food, you knew you wouldn't be taking much with you, but you wanted to take personal things that meant things to you.
You had your grandfathers old bayonet from when he fought in the First World War, you had photos of you and your family, you had a necklace from Quinn, and a snow glob from Elliot, you had those and some clothes in your mint green case.
As you sat down on your bed, the excitement started you wear off, you knew you were going to miss your family, but only three people in the house you were going to miss the most, your father, Elliot and Quinn. They both had signed up for the war, and they both got in as snipers as well, Elliot's in the Rangers and Quinn is in the marines. You were proud of them both.
As you lay down on your bed you couldn't stop thinking about leaving in under 4 days, 4 days you had left with your brothers, 4 days to sock up the last of the Montana mountain views.
You were going to miss the view the most. You couldn't get enough of it.

"Hey Liv" you heard a whisper and looked over to your door to see Eugene, you waved him in.
"What's up Gene" you asked as you sat up against the headboard of your bed.
"Well I found out your going to the war as well, and I wanted to spend some time with you, I'll miss you a lot" you could feel a small tear form in your eyes. You smiled and just pulled him in for a bone crushing hug, you would miss Eugene as well, you were like a mentor to him, he looked up to you.
"I'll miss you too Gene, but remember you can write to me ok? I might not answer right away, but I'll try my best" he nodded his head.
You ended up laying down together and talking about life and what will happen if America won the war.
You would miss moment like these.

——————————————————

It was the day you left everything you knew and loved behind.
You were giving literally everything up, just to fight in a war that you didn't even know if you would service in. You tried not to think about that though. You were at the train station with your whole family, everyone had tears in there eyes, even your mother, she hadn't talked to you unless necessary for a whole week.
"Ok I better go" you said as you turned to them all.
The first person to hug you was Eugene. He started crying as soon as your arms went around him.
"Don't cry genie, I'll see you when it's over ok?" You felt him nod. He pulled away and kissed your check.
Next Quinn and Elliot hugged you, wishing you luck and to stay safe.
Your sisters hugged you and told you they would miss you, you knew they wouldn't really.
Then it was your parents. You mother pulled you into her and hugged you so tight.
"You Olivia Goldstone show those boys how's it's done, you hear me miss! I want you back in one price" you smiled at your mother as you pulled away.
" I promise" you said and kissed her check.
Last but not least was your father, he had tears in his eyes.
"Don't you dare cry or I'll be crying like a waterfall" everyone chuckled as you hugged your father with so much force, you thought he might just break. He kissed your head. You could feel the tears falling from his face.
"You show them What your made of Liv, I am so proud of you Darling, so very bloody proud." You pulled away and kissed his check.
"I will see you when this is over" you said. He nodded his head at you. You walked back to your case and picked it up, you turned back around to face your family. You waved to them. "I'll write when I can, and you two better stay safe out there!" You yelled out and pointed and Quinn and Elliot, you saw them laugh and nod back at you. You got on the train and saw the doors close, you waved to your family as the train started moving. You saw them all waving at you. You waved back at your family for maybe the very last time. You weren't scared. You were just nervous.
As you sat down on the train you couldn't help but let a breath out you didn't even know you were holding.
You leant back in your chair with a big smile on your face.
This was it. This was your time to shine bright, shine like the sun.