Chapter 12 - Saving Him

"Danny!" I said. 

I didn't want to shout, because I knew he wouldn't want our brothers to know. 

Our parents--I mean, old parents are at work. 

"E-Ellie?" He asked.

He was sitting on the floor. He had a razor in his hand and some blood on his arm. 

He had tears streaming down his face. 

"Danny," I began. "Why the hell would you do that to yourself?" 

I carefully grabbed the razor out of his hand. 

I threw it in the trashcan. 

I grabbed a towel and put water and soap on it. Then, I held Daniel's arm in my hand. 

"Listen, this might hurt, okay? But, just breathe."

He nodded. 

I put the wet, soapy towel on his arm. He winced in pain. 

"Just breathe. Breathe, okay?" I said. 

He nodded again. 

I carefully dabbed the towel on his skin. 

Then, I grabbed the first aid kit from the cabinet in his bathroom. Next, I put on some band aids on his cuts. 

After I did that, I hugged him. 

"It'll get better, I promise," I whispered. 

He hugged me back. "Ellie," he began. 

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Thank you."

I nodded. "No problem."

"Can I talk to you?" He asked. "I just need to talk to someone."

"Of course, let's go sit on your bed," I said. 

I stood up and then put down my hand. 

He took it and I helped him up. 

Then, we walked over to the bed. 

We sat down. 

"I'm cold," Daniel said. 

"Me too," I said. "Why is it so cold in your room?"

"I don't know."

I shrugged and then grabbed a blanket. 

I sat down next to Daniel and then draped the blanket on top of both of us. 

"What's on your mind, Danny?" I asked. 

"Well, first of all, kids won't stop bullying me at school."

"What are they doing?" 

"They keep saying I'm a worthless piece of shit," he began. 

I hate when my brothers curse, but he's going through a lot right now, so I'll let it slide.

"And I guess since you moved, people needed a new person to bully. So I guess they chose me."

"It's my fault."

"No, it isn't," Daniel said. 

"Yes it is. They needed a Beckett to bully. I just don't know why," I said. "What else is bothering you, right now?"

"Mom and dad."

"What happened?" I asked.

"They won't listen to me. Every time I try to talk to them, they're just busy all the time. It's so annoying. I feel like I've lost my parents."

"Listen I know how hard that is, okay? I went through the same thing, you know that. And trust me, you aren't the one that lost your parents."

"Thanks, El," he said. 

"No problem," I said. "But, seriously, you are so strong, both mentally and physically. I know it's difficult to believe, but you have to try, Danny. Please just try to see that you are so special." 

He shook his head. "No, I'm not."

"I know it's difficult, okay? But, you can't let these people tell you that you aren't important. Because you are. You are so much more important than them. You are the one that's special. You can be the real you. Don't listen to what those stupid jerks say. You can't let them win, Daniel. I'm serious. Be the real you. That's all you can do. And before you say that you're ugly or fat, trust me you aren't! You are handsome and any girl should be able to see that. And if they can't see how truly amazing you are, then they're not worth dating. You just need to be strong no matter what anyone tells you. And you are far from fat, okay? Trust me, I mean I've seen cows that are fat, and trust me compared to you they're so fat. You are skinny, and that is a good thing, not super skinny, but skinny. Okay, anyways, believe me, you are such a strong, brave, nice, and smart guy, okay? Please don't commit suicide. Because if you do it, then we do it together. Because there's no way I'm letting my brother walk through hell alone."

"Ellie, that is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." 

I looked at the ground and then back at Daniel. He was in tears again. Hopefully that's a good thing. 

"So, are you going to commit suicide, still?" I asked. 

"Nope. I'm gonna stay here with my family. And my sister."

I smiled. 

"I love you, big bro."

"I love you too, lil sis."

Then, we hugged. 

After a moment, I pulled away. 

"Is something wrong?" Daniel asked. 

"Yes. Danny, I need to tell you something," I said.

"Okay, what is it?"

"It's about Kyle..."