Ch. 31 | The Bar

Summary: JJ calls Reader to come pick up her boyfriend.

Content Warning: Oral (male receiving), handjob, fingering, Daddy Kink, drunk smut w/ blanket consent, alcohol

—————————————————

The thing about coming back from a gunshot wound to the stomach is that it takes a ridiculously annoying amount of time. Like, yeah, the pain is something awful, but the wait for things to return to normal was even worse.

I didn't even know how long it'd been, my brain blocking out anything that reminded me of that day. If I ever really needed to know, Spencer could tell me. I was basically only keeping track of the days by deadlines for school and the dwindling prescriptions I had left.

My follow-up appointment was next week, and it couldn't come soon enough. Spencer told me he would come with me, but I hadn't really heard from him in a couple of days. He didn't even have time to tell me about the case, although I could tell it was one of the "bad" ones – not that there were really any "good" ones.

But still, it was almost 11pm and I was about to go to sleep, but I wanted to wait a little bit longer before I called it a night. I was just hoping that I'd be able to talk to him, even if it was just to say goodnight. I missed his voice like crazy.

So when my phone lit up, I didn't even look at the caller ID. There weren't many people who would call me this late on a Friday – my friends were all already out for the night.

"Hello?" I sang into the receiver, already excitedly spinning around in my chair.

But the voice that responded was decidedly not Spencer.

"Hey, (y/n), right? It's JJ."

Her voice rang like a record scratch through my head, and I halted in my chair. "Oh, hey JJ... Why are you calling me?" Suddenly, my enthusiasm morphed into an overwhelming anxiety and darkness that threatened to crush everything in its path. "I-Is everything alright?"

But then I heard it. The sound of terrible music, loud laughter, and the general bustle of a restaurant. It was followed by an even more nervous JJ, "Uhh, yeah. Everything is fine. I was calling because Spencer might have had a few too many drinks and—"

Above the chaotic noise that I just described, I heard Spencer Reid loud and clear. Well, maybe not the clear part. His inaudible slurring sounded vaguely like a rant I'd heard before. Then again, hadn't I heard them all at this point?

I hadn't put it together yet, though, and once I did, I couldn't help but laugh. "My boyfriend is drunk? Cute."

I was already standing, gathering my things and tossing my jacket on to head out when I asked, "Do you want me to come get him?"

"Please." I'd never heard a more relieved woman in my life. The very thought of him driving his best friends insane with his drunken lessons was enough to combat my exhaustion. The poor thing was probably humiliating himself one sip at a time.

But for every chuckle, I was really just hiding a deeper concern. Spencer wasn't supposed to be drinking. Spencer wasn't allowed to drink, and he knew that. Out of the two of us, he was the one who put himself at risk more often, and I had a goddamn bullet wound.

"Sure thing. Just send me the address."

It dawned on me somewhere along the 20 minute drive that Spencer had not only finished his case, but also come home and gone out for a drink with his team. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but the fact that he hadn't told me about any of it...?