Ch. 32 | The Relapse

Summary: Reader confronts Spencer about why he was drinking.

Content Warning: Oral (female receiving), addiction, relapse, discussions of death/murder, unsub talk, emetophobia mention at the beginning

——————————————————

The next morning felt strangely similar to the morning of the day we'd gone to the bank. Waking up in Spencer's bed and smelling the unmistakable, comforting scent of old book pages and stale coffee. I'd told him when I first came to his place that it reminded me of a library, but it was more like that quiet local hole-in-the-wall bookshop.

It almost felt like that morning, but there was one glaring difference: Spencer wasn't in the bed.

When I sat up to try and locate him, I was reminded that there are consequences to my actions. My stomach hurt like shit, and I swore I blacked out for a second from the pain. It would pass, though. Considering I had gotten through the night without waking, it clearly wasn't that bad.

I thankfully managed to get out of bed myself and take the pain medication I kept in my purse. And armed with the knowledge that the pain would subside within the next half hour, I hobbled toward the distant sounds of... vomiting.

Not even bothering to stop yet, I made my way to the kitchen to grab the poor guy a glass of water. It was the least I could do for his comfort considering that I was about to make his headache much, much worse.

Peeking my head through the open door, I frowned at the sight of my boyfriend half asleep on the toilet.

"Hey old man. I brought you some water."

Finally looking up, not having noticed me until I spoke, Spencer groaned as he backed up to lean against the wall instead of the dirty porcelain. "God, when did I get this old?"

"Hmm. I'm guessing sometime in the past 30 years." I hummed, joining him on the cold tile floor. The two of us just rested there, his hand reaching out to take mine with a solemn smile.

"You're cute." He mumbled.

"I know, thanks." I joked back, knowing that I really looked like a whole mess, with my hair desperately needing to be brushed. He never seemed to mind, though. I was glad for the lighthearted domesticity of the moment, because I knew I was about to shatter it like a brick through glass.

Softening my features as much as possible with the anxiety coursing through my veins, I squeezed his hand before finally whispering, "You know your age isn't the only reason you're sick though, right?"

"I don't want to talk about it." He snapped back with about as much hostility as I was expecting. He ran a frustrated hand over his face, his breathing picking up almost immediately as he tried to calm himself down.

"I know you're just trying to do what you're supposed to, but please..." The waver in his voice broke my heart and turned my stomach to knots. With more force, he held his hand in the air and continued to stare straight ahead. "Just... don't. I'll call my sponsor."

I tried to keep my voice quiet and nonthreatening as I pushed, but I knew that it wasn't going to make much of a difference either way.

"We have to talk about it, too, Spencer."

"No, we really don't."

"You're going to get your chip taken away," my voice broke in half as the word fell from my mouth, "I know that that's important to you. We can't ignore it."

Speaking faster, our urgent pleas overlapped to create a small cacophony booming through the acoustics of the bathroom. "(Y/n), seriously, stop. You don't know what you're talking about."