FIVE

"I think we should start at the mall," Dex told them in study hall that Monday afternoon. "There're always jobs there."

Biana giggled. "Is that where you got the job as Gordy the Clown?"

Dex's face turned red and Sophie shuddered. She'd had pretty much enough of the name Gordy the Clown.

"Yeah," He muttered. "But there are tons of other places we can get a job at. Like, a slushy-maker or something,"

"Fine," Biana said. "But I am not becoming a mall Santa or an elf,"

"Biana, it's September," Dex said, rolling his eyes. "Santa won't be at the mall until November,"

Biana shrugged, and opened her mouth to say something, but Ms. Clarette gave the three of them ugly looks, so she stopped.

Sophie finished her homework just as the bell rang, so she and her friends got up and made their way to their lockers right away.

"I'll meet you guys at the mall," Sophie said as they walked to their cars.

Biana and Dex nodded before Sophie got in her car and made her way to the mall. It was about a ten-minute drive there, so it gave Sophie some time to think about what kind of job she might want.

She was a super clumsy person, so something that had to do with serving people wouldn't end very well.

Maybe she could be a manager...but, probably not since she would've just started working there. It was going to take a lot of time to climb up to the top.

Sophie pulled into the parking-lot of the mall and parked her car. Then, she stood outside of the building, waiting for Biana and Dex to meet her there.

After a minute or two, Biana and Dex finally showed up and they all entered the mall together.

"Okay, why don't we split up?" Sophie suggested. "We'll cover more ground and when we see a job opening, we'll text each other."

"Got it," Dex said, before they all parted ways.

§§§

"Psst! Sophie!"

Sophie turned around and, standing behind her, was Biana. "What do you want?" She asked. "We're supposed to be splitting up,"

"I know," She said. "But I took a sample from a shop, and I thought it was free, but it turns out it wasn't, so now I'm hiding,"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Well, other than stealing food, have you found anything?"

Biana shook her head quickly. "I've literally looked everywhere—it's like no one's hiring anymore,"

Sophie sighed. "I haven't found anything either. Maybe Dex is having better luck,"

The three of them had been searching for jobs for two hours, so maybe at least one of them had found something.

"There you guys are!" Dex said with a grin as he walked into the shoe store Sophie and Biana were in. "I've been looking everywhere."

Sophie and Biana perked up. "Did you find a job?" They both asked.

Dex's face deflated. "No, but," His face got happier. "I saw that the slushy-shop has a discount on Cherry Slushies—they're only ninety-nine cent!"

"Woah," Biana said. "That's a good deal—we should go get some,"

"No way," Sophie said. "We came here to look for jobs, not 50% off slushies."