FOURTEEN

As Sophie finished dinner, she realized that something was very wrong.

"Edaline, I think I feel a disturbance in the force," She said, placing her plate in the sink.

"Oh, are you sick?" Edaline asked, placing her hand on Sophie's head.

Sophie shook her head. "No, but there's something wrong."

"What is it?" Edaline asked, looking at Sophie like she'd just lost her mind.

Sophie paused before saying, "Nothing's wrong,"

"Okay, then I guess I'll just—"

"That's the problem," Sophie said, stopping Edaline from leaving. "The problem is that nothing is wrong."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Edaline asked, putting her hands on her hips. "Why should it be wrong if something's not wrong?"

"It could be a good thing," Sophie said, tapping her foot against the ground. "But it could also be a really bad thing. You see, this usually doesn't happen. On weekends, someone usually calls me and tells me that I have to go somewhere because something's happening." She explained. "Right now, it's 7:15 on a Saturday night and I haven't gotten one phone call."

Edaline rose an eyebrow at Sophie. "Then take advantage of it. Stop being so dramatic and relax."

Sophie sighed. "How am I supposed to relax when—"

Suddenly, Sophie's phone started ringing.

"A-ha! I knew it was too good to be true!" Sophie pulled out her phone and noticed that she was getting a call from Biana. "Let me take this,"

She walked into the living room and answered the phone. "Hey Biana, what's up?"

"Thank goodness someone picked up," She said, relief filling her voice.

"Oh, are you okay?"

It was silent for a beat. "Um...not exactly. You see, Tam and I were going on a date—we took my car—and as we were driving back, the car ran out of gas, so we're stuck on the side of the road."

"Oh," Sophie said, her eyes widening. "Are you guys okay?"

"Well, we're fine, but we kind of wondered if you could come get us...?" She asked, her voice becoming squeaky.

Sophie bit her lip. "Um...why don't you just call the police?"

"Well, Tam said he didn't want to get them involved because then his parents would get all angry and ground him or something," She explained.

"I mean, I guess I could come get you guys," Sophie told her. "But how do you plan to get your car back?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Biana said quickly. "Thank you so much, though."

Sophie nodded, getting Biana to send her the location before she ended the call and told Grady and Edaline where she was going.

"Alright," Grady said, looking uncertain. "Just...be careful,"

"I will," Sophie said before leaving the house and getting in her car. She put the directions into her GPS and followed what the Google Maps Lady told her.

At first, Sophie had thought Tam and Biana had gone to eat out at dinner, but it turned out that they'd went to a place with not a lot of buildings. After twenty minutes of driving, Sophie noticed that buildings had started being extremely sporadic.