THIRTY-FOUR

"And...it's off!" Elwin said, cutting off her cast and letting the stinky feet fumes spread through the air. "Now, I'll let you have them off for a little bit, but then we're putting a brace on your arm, and a boot on your foot."

Sophie nodded. "I mean, at least I can walk now,"

Edaline nodded from where she was sitting. "Just remember to take it slow for a little bit."

"I know," Sophie said with a laugh.

After a few minutes of her arm and foot being free, Elwin came back with a brace and a boot. He wrapped compression bandages around the two appendages and then put on the boot and brace.

"Okay," He said, holding out is hand to her. "I want you to try and walk, and if you fall, I'll catch you."

Sophie nodded, grabbing his hand and getting off of the cot. Her feet felt very wobbly, but she thankfully didn't fall. She let go of his hand and began to walk around the room.

"You're doing great," Elwin told her with a chuckle. "Now," He grabbed some paper and a pencil from his desk. "I want you to try and write your name. You're ambidextrous, right?"

Sophie nodded and took the pencil writing down her full name. The writing was a little shaky, but it didn't look terrible.

"Alright Miss Foster," Elwin said with a grin. "You are free to go—and I'll see you in a month or so."

§§§

"What're you all doing here?" Sophie asked, opening the front door and finding Biana, Keefe, Tam, Linh, Dex, and Fitz standing there. "And where are Jensi and Maruca?"

"Well, I think you can guess where Jensi's at," Tam said with a chuckle. "And Maruca is spending time with Wylie before he leaves for college."

"Okay," Sophie said. "Can you answer my first question?"

"Well, you know how Freshman year you broke your foot and then, after you got it off, a few of us took you out to celebrate?" Dex asked with a grin.

Sophie smiled. "Yeah,"

"Well, I know you haven't technically gotten anything off," Dex continued. "But we all wanted to take you to celebrate the fact that you can walk again."

Sophie smiled. "Really? You guys are so sweet."

Biana grinned. "It's not like we're going anywhere super fancy, but you might want to change out of your pajama's."

Sophie's face turned just a little pink, but she nodded and made her way up the stairs. She put on a grey t-shirt, her icy-blue hoodie, a pair of shorts, and her converses. She also brushed her hair out and grabbed her phone before she went back downstairs.

"Okay," Sophie said. "I'm ready."

"Be careful!" Grady and Edaline both called from the other room.

Sophie smiled. "I will!" Then Sophie and all of her friends walked outside to a giant red truck. "Wait, we're riding with Keefe?"

'Yeah," Linh said. "It'll be exactly like when we went with Wylie, except someone else will ride in the back with you. I nominate Keefe,"

"Me too," Biana agreed.

"But this is my truck," Keefe said with a laugh. "Why can't I drive it?"

"Tam could drive it," Dex told him with a shrug. "You guys are the same age."

"No way," Keefe said. "I'd rather have Biana drive my car."