TWENTY-ONE

"It's Valentine's day!"

Sophie woke up that morning—six o'clock to be exact—to Biana bursting into her room and throwing a box, a bag, and a letter on her bed.

"Wake up little-miss-heart-breaker, because you've got mail," Biana sang before jumping onto Sophie's bed and shaking her awake.

"What the heck!?" Sophie screamed, terrified for her life. "Do you know how early in the morning it is? What's wrong with you?"

Biana laughed. "Don't be like that. It's Valentine's day. Plus, you got a package from Keefe."

Sophie shot up from her pillow to see Biana holding out a brown box. But before Sophie could grab it, Biana pulled it away.

"Nope," She said, shaking her head. "You've got to open my gift first." She handed Sophie the pink and red bag that she'd previously thrown on Sophie's bed.

Sophie rolled her eyes, but she still had a smile on her face as she reached her hand into the bag and pulled out a bouquet of chocolate roses. "Aw, thanks Biana. This is super sweet of you."

Biana grinned. "You also got a letter in the mail from Fitz. He sent one to everyone." Biana handed her a letter in a red envelope.

Sophie smiled as she opened the letter to find a fifty-dollar gift-card for Chick-Fil-A and a cute letter. On the inside of it, it said:

Happy Valentine's Day Sophie! Hope you have a lovely day! ~Fitz V

"He's so sweet," She said, putting the contents back in the envelope and staring at the big brown box that Biana had decided to hide behind her back.

"Give it," Sophie said, holding out her hand.

"I don't know," Biana teased, keeping the box behind her. "Do you really deserve it?"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "I deserve it as much as you deserve any gift Keefe probably got you."

Biana laughed. "Keefe didn't get me a gift. He also didn't get Tam and Linh a gift. Or Dex, or Jensi, or Maruca. Just you," She shrugged as she finally handed Sophie the box.

"That's weird," Sophie said, grabbing the box.

"Is it though?" Biana asked, cocking her head at Sophie. "I mean, I kind of expected it."

"Really?" Sophie asked, tapping the box. "Why?"

Biana scoffed, her eyes becoming wide. "Are you really going to make me have to explain it? Are you just that oblivious? I thought after last Summer you'd finally figured it out."

"If you're talking about Keefe having a crush on me," Sophie said. "Then—"

"First of all:" Biana said, cutting her off. "He has way more than a crush on you. Second of all: Finally, you figured it out! I thought you'd never get it!"

Sophie rolled her eyes. The reason she was acting so oblivious was because of New Year's Night. If Keefe liked her—maybe even more—then why didn't he kiss her? It had seemed like he was going to, but then he'd backed out at the last minute. Why had he done it? Was he scared? Did he not like her anymore?

Sophie was super confused.

"Can we not talk about this?" Sophie asked, pulling the tape off the box. "Let's talk about something else. Like...what did Tam get you for Valentine's Day?"

Biana smiled. "He called me this morning and told me Happy Valentine's Day. Then, later, he's taking me somewhere, and then we're going to make Valentine's Day cookies."