EIGHTEEN

"I can't believe it's almost a new year," Sophie said as she walked down the stairs and into the living room. "It's gone by so fast."

"It has," Edaline said. "You're going to be turning seventeen soon."

Sophie crinkled her nose. "I'll be the same age as Keefe—that's weird."

Edaline laughed before asking, "Are you going over to the Vacker's for New Years?"

Sophie nodded. "Yeah—but don't worry, I'll call you in the new year."

"Alright," Edaline said, leaning over and kissing Sophie on her forehead. "I'll see you in the New Year,"

Sophie smiled. "See you then," Then she grabbed her keys, got in her car, and drove to the Vacker's house.

"You're here!" Biana sang after the door had opened. "Now we're just waiting for Keefe."

"He's not here yet?" Sophie asked as she walked inside. "That's surprising."

Biana nodded. "Yeah, but I'm sure he'll be here soon." She grabbed Sophie's wrist and led her upstairs. "Everyone's in Alvar's room."

"Why Alvar's room?" Sophie asked as they ran.

Biana shrugged. "I think they're playing poker."

Sophie's eyes widened, stopping in her tracks. "What are they gambling with?"

"I think with Pokémon cards." Biana said, nodding. "Jensi, Dex, and Alvar have been at it for almost an hour."

Sophie rolled her eyes as they continued to climb up the stairs. Why would they be betting on Pokémon cards? To be truthful, Sophie could see Jensi and Alvar doing that, but Dex?

He was supposed to be the whiz of all things that had to do with common sense. He was supposed to be the most mature; the most responsible.

"We've got to stop them," Sophie muttered to Biana as they walked down the hallway and to a plain, white door. "Or Dex is going to regret all of his life decisions."

Biana laughed. "Yeah, you're probably right. Next thing you know, they'll be betting on all their money."

Sophie's eyes widened once again before she opened the door and stormed inside. She couldn't let Dex or Jensi throw away their money. Alvar was a grown man with billions of dollars—there was no way he was going to lose.

"Hey Sophie," Dex said from where he was sitting on the bed next to Jensi and Alvar, surrounded by Pokémon cards and five-dollar bills. "Do you want us to deal you in?"

"Dex, you can't do this," Sophie said, shaking her head in confusion. "You too Jensi. Alvar has tons of money—he's going to run you both dry." She then turned to Tam, Linh, Maruca, and Fitz who were watching the game. "You guys weren't going to stop them?"

"Actually," Alvar said, turning her attention towards him. "Dex has been running me dry." He placed a one-hundred-dollar bill in front of Dex and sighed, looking ashamed. "I don't understand how he does it."

Dex grinned as he shrugged. "A Dizznee never reveals his secrets,"

"What secrets?"

They all turned to see Keefe walk into the room, looking confused.

"Oh nothing," Fitz said with a laugh. "Dex is just kicking Alvar's butt and getting all of his money."

"He hasn't lost once," Linh giggled. "I'm even confused as to how he's winning. Dex, have you ever played poker?"