Warmth

Mornings in the North weren't as bright and sunny as they were in Essos. They were cold and gray – or at least that first morning was.

Daenerys had always enjoyed the warm weather because she came from fire. The extreme heat of the desert never bothered her but now, for the first time, she noticed the difference between her warm bed and the cold air in the room. It wasn't really that cold but somehow her bed felt so comfortable.

Sighing, she scooted closer to the source of heat but as her arm wrapped tighter against a body, her back stiffened. Soon she remembered she wasn't alone in her bed and that the hard body, the chest covered in a faint layer of hair, belonged to her new husband.

Her violet eyes opened hesitantly to meet the figure of a peacefully sleeping Robb Stark. And under the blankets she could feel their legs entangled.

He had probably been so tired that not even her need for his heat was able to wake him up. Robb couldn't seem to care about being used for warming up. She certainly couldn't understand how if the room felt so cold, he was happily sleeping under the furs.

She used the time to study him. He was a handsome young man, not in the strong way Drogo had been and not in the classic Viserys had looked. He was different to everyone else in every single way and it intrigued her because if he was unique and she was the last of her kind, did that mean they were destined to make company to each other?

He stirred and she retreated, pulling away from him.

Her actions were leading her into dangerous territory. She had no desire of being a dutiful wife and bearing his children – she didn't want to learn to love him like it had happened with Drogo. She just wanted to be loved and desired so he would do anything to please her.

Turning on her side, facing away from him, Dany clung to her pillow and worried she would fail on her plans. And this time she was alone – not that it had been much different before but she felt better when Ser Jorah and Rakharo were around.

Not once before she had needed to be held for comfort but she had to admit the loving contact, the soothing sound of someone else breathing felt perfect. She had never had a family and the khalasar hadn't been one like the caring ones. Was that what made Robb different?

She felt the bed shifting under her as he slid out of it. Apparently, he believed she was still asleep.

"Daenerys?" He called softly, but as he did so, Grey Wind sat in front of her, staring into her eyes silently.

It amused her to see the direwolf tilting his head to the side as if asking why she was hiding.

Just like her dragons, direwolves were the Starks children. Others could be afraid of such a ferocious animal, one that showed its teeth to those who threatened the safety of their pack but she knew he was only protecting Robb, like her dragons did with her, though they still were far too young to do much damage.

"I'm not hungry," she murmured once Robb called her name again.

"Nonsense," he answered and moved so he was in her line of sight. "You haven't had a decent meal in days." Robb crouched before her, next to Grey Wind, and reach with his hand to touch her forehead. "Are you sick?" His brow furrowed with concern. "Do you want me to call for Maester Luwin?"