The North is Strong

The day Sansa arrived to Winterfell it was snowing lightly. Everything was covered by a faint layer of white that seemed to welcome the young girl into her motherland's arms.

Daenerys saw the girl with fascination. Sansa was a very beautiful young lady with the same hair of her mother and the bright blue eyes she saw in Robb. It was impressive to see her perfect manners, even after all she had gone through. That control over her emotions reminded her of herself. It was because of that that Daenerys believed one day, when she and Robb ruled the Seven Kingdoms, Sansa would make an excellent Queen for the North.

Bran had long before confided her that he did not want to be Lord or King. He had dreams of flying, of seeing the world just like he had always intended before his accident. And Rickon, sweet and wild Rickon, was eager to learn every style of fighting and to run around; mayhap he'd become the knight Bran had wanted to be.

"Your Grace," Sansa greeted her with utmost respect and Dany had to smile at her.

"Sister," she replied. "You're my sister." Dany cradled the young girl's face in her hands and grinned at her. "I'm so happy to meet you, to have you back home."

She could tell Sansa was just getting used to smiling again, that she had trouble to let her happiness show. At least she was trying again.

When Ser Jorah approached, just to talk to a servant about the horses and their belongings, Dany stopped him, taking his leathery hand in hers and looking up into those hardened eyes. She knew how he felt about her and that she would never be able to reciprocate those feelings.

"Thank you." As she spoke, her eyes fell upon Catelyn and the boys, smothering Sansa with affection and good-natured questions.

"Your husband has already thanked me."

"Did he grant you a pardon?"

"He did."

Dany turned to him and tried read his expression but, as always, he kept his emotions hidden. Perhaps he had learned after his failed attempts to give his heart to a woman.

"What are you planning to do now that you're free?"

She followed his gaze to the Starks children and Catelyn, laughing and hugging. Did he want a family? Or, did he despise that he was not able to have one?

"Before coming here, the King offered me to be Captain of the Guards of his house while he's away. At least for now."

It was blatantly obvious that she was surprised but his low chuckle let her know that he thought it was amusing. And, well, she had never believed Robb could change his mind but after Jorah had proved himself, her Wolf had apparently granted him a place among his trusted men.

"How is he?" she wondered in a small voice.

"The war is going slow. Tywin Lannister is planning something but so far we're winning. I don't believe the man could do anything useful unless he plans on offering a deal to Stannis or Balon Greyjoy and take this war to the sea."

She had feared that. In case that happened, they were in danger. Among their allies they did not have a strong fleet, at least not like the ironborn or Stannis Baratheon did. As long as the war was fought in land, they were safe but they did need to think about a future ally with a large fleet.

"Is he calm? Has he let his temper unleash?"

Jorah scoffed. "A temper he has, and after he left Winterfell, he had been more irritable than usual until…" he trailed off but Daenerys noticed his hesitance.

"Until what?" The fear gripped her heart in its claws. What had been the outlet of Robb's fury? How had he calmed? Her first thought was that he had find someone, that Jorah had doubted because he knew how much it would hurt her but then the older man sighed noisily through his nose, deciding to just say it.