Howling

News arrived in the morning making victory taste bitter for everyone. Daenerys couldn't comprehend why it had happened like this, why after having so much hope with Robb's first win, everything had been ruined by the murder of Eddard Stark in King's Landing.

She had never met the man but she felt her heart being squeezed by claws inside her chest as soon as Theon told her. It was difficult for her since she knew Robb loved and admired his father with all his being, and he hoped to save him and have his family reunited in Winterfell soon.

By the time she made it out of the tent where she and Irri were feeding the dragons, she saw Lady Catelyn walking through the camp and men bowing to her to express their grief. The woman looked tall and composed, so much that Dany was reminded of her own mask, the one she wore to hide her pain away. In that moment, she admired Robb's mother.

Catelyn Stark was a strong lady and she knew she couldn't look weak before her people.

As soon as she took a deep and encouraging breath, Dany decided to follow Catelyn and express her condolences – without Eddard Stark she would have never met Robb nor come to Westeros. And now she was carrying the man's first grandchild.

Her hands fell upon her stomach and she hurried to the tall woman who was already reaching the woods.

It was only when she heard her sniffling silently that Dany decided to slow her pace and give the woman a chance to grief without feeling guilty.

In the background, the sound of metal cutting through the air could be heard.

Soon she watched the love and strength mothers had when treating with their children, while comforting them.

Dany was careful not to interrupt them, to not startle Robb as he angrily swung his sword against a tree, more likely than not wishing it was one of his enemies. Her heart beat faster and her stomach felt in knots as she saw him crying. He had always kept his face straight and his hand steady but now he broke down.

There was also pain in her because he hadn't come to her in look for comfort.

"I'll kill them all. Every one of them. I'll kill them all," he swore as his mother held him in her arms, like the child he no longer was. The last tie to childhood had now been severed.

And a few feet away, Dany couldn't help to agree with him and that she would do anything to help him keep that promise, that together they would be the downfall of their enemies because something inside her told her he would do the same for her.

"My boy, they have your sisters. We have to get the girls back... and then we will kill them all," Catelyn replied, gently stroking his hair and letting him bury his face in her shoulder while he sobbed. Once again, she was protecting her child, not letting his men see him weak.

But his instinct always found her, and so Robb lifted his head enough to see her. He pulled back from his mother's comforting arms and tried to regain control over his emotions and ignore the tears marring his handsome face.

Lady Catelyn soon turned to her, as well.

"I'm… sorry," Dany muttered softly, approaching them. "I really am," she muttered, feeling awkward and out of place. She had never been nurtured to know how to comfort them, how to tell them how awful she felt for their loss.

Viserys thought he owned the world and that no one deserved his pity, while she thought she wished to help people who had suffered like them. They never reached a consensus and so she never knew how to help others despite feeling the pull each time she saw someone hurting.

Lady Catelyn bowed her head, accepting her vague words.

"I'll do anything you need me to." She swallowed hard as her eyes locked with Robb's reddened ones. "I want to help," she admitted meekly.