Wail of the Dragon

Running her hand through Robb's hair, Dany wondered if this had been the same feeling he'd had when she was wounded at Edmure's wedding. Had he lost his appetite and the ability to sleep? She knew he had been at her side for as long as he could, and he had been the first thing she saw when she woke up. But she didn't know if she would be able to endure the feeling of uncertainty for much longer.

The maester had told her Robb was strong, but he had lost much blood. They thought it was a miracle of the Old Gods he had been able to survive the first night. Now he had been alive for almost five days and his heart seemed to grow stronger.

Grey Wind was faithfully watching his master from his place at the feet of the bed. Dany had allowed it despite the protests of many. She knew Robb would appreciate the gesture.

Robb was so pale. He had bled so much, she almost thought she would lose him, but she didn't give up. She knew their victory wouldn't have been complete if he died. Robb deserved to be crowned King of the Seven Kingdoms. He would need to be strong enough to ride his horse and walk into King's Landing with his head held high.

"Wake up, Robb," she whispered, feeling her mouth dry. "Wake up, my King." A feeble smile opened its way to her lips. He was the only man who didn't want the Iron Throne, and that reason made him a better suitor for the title.

She curled next to him, careful of not pressing any of his wounds. Dany felt Grey Wind's head falling heavy but softly over their feet, trying to soothe her. She just couldn't help the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

Thinking about losing another husband seemed punishment. And this time, things were different. They had a family. Robb had become an equal in some aspects and he had understood parts of her no one else had. They needed each other; that much she knew.

There was knock on the door and soon a voice followed.

"It's me, Theon. I," he trailed off before clearing his throat. "May I come in?"

Grey Wind made a noise, looking at her. Dany didn't feel strong enough to speak loudly, but she stood begrudgingly and smoothed her dress.

"You may," she replied.

Theon seemed to tiptoe his way around her ever since the incident involving the ironborn and Winterfell, in which she had imprisoned him. She had never got along with him, but she knew he thought of Robb like a brother, and his forgiveness had meant the world for him. She knew he was probably one of the few who could understand how she felt right then.

"Has he woken up?" he wondered while looking at Robb from afar.

She shook her head, afraid that she could give away any of her fears. She was Queen of the Seven Kingdoms now, even if they hadn't reached the throne yet. The men hadn't even celebrated their victory yet, and she was scared for another war if Robb happened to…

She closed her eyes tightly and refused to let the idea into her mind. It had seemed almost impossible to keep the thought of Robb passing away out of her head when she refused letting anyone but her to clean the dirt and the blood off him after battle. There had been so much blood clinging to his body and hair.

It was then when she decided she would join him in his decision of not taking the famous Iron Throne. Daenerys had ordered to build a weirwood throne for her, one to join his ironwood one. They would not continue the tradition, for they were meant to be different and new.

"He will," Theon told her, bringing her back to the present situation. "I know he will. He's the best man I know, and even if the people don't deserve him, he should be able to rule. His Gods should save him."