Brother

It never seemed to be easier getting used to the cold of the North, more so when at The Wall. It became tolerable, like the chronic pain of a man who knows his time is coming, like a man who knows there will be a time when everything would end and that would become the only comfort.

Jon sat at his new desk, the one that still felt foreign to him.

Over the past weeks he had received two ravens with what he considered good news separately, but he was not so sure of them combined. Stannis had been the first to reply, promising help to fight against the wildlings; until then no other lord had taken him seriously. He had to admit he was slightly disappointed when he did not receive a response from Robb, but just a couple of days later, his half-brother assured him he would ride to The Wall and join him.

It would be the first time they saw each other since the day he had left with their uncle Benjen. Since then much had happened to them, and sometimes felt quite sad not to be able to share it with someone who he knew since childhood, who would miss their father's advice as much as he did during those bad days and still had unanswered questions.

Recently becoming Lord Commander, Jon had started to put his new title to good use. That of course did not mean he had not regretted the death of the previous Lord Commander, Jeor Mormont. But due the circumstances, there was not much time to mourn or think about mistakes.

He moved to stand and the wound in his leg stung. Each time those hurt, Jon thought about Ygritte and how similar they were. He had spoken the truth when he said he loved her, and even if she never said it, he knew she did as well. But both of them had loyalties with their people, he had to honor his word as a member of the Night's Watch and she had always let him know what she thought about his people.

He could not blame her and feel resentment against her for injuring him. Jon had thought about doing the same, and he would probably have to, but those were things he did not wish to think about. Besides, after taking the black, he could never commit himself to a woman, so it was better that way.

"Jon," Samwell trudged into the chambers and dusted off the snow falling at the time. "Scouts said Stannis is a day away from here with a thousand men."

"And Robb?"

Samwell smiled. "He's little less than two days away, with about three thousand men."

Jon nodded somberly. It would be great to have that help. It would make the battle much easier, but he knew Mance Rayder could arrive earlier than that. He was faster and knew the terrains better than most. He also had the knowledge of how the Night's Watch behaved and thought.

"That's not all," Samwell continued with excitement and a grin growing on his face. Jon frowned at that. "Your brother has a dragon."

"What?" Jon muttered.

"Apparently, his wife is the owner of said dragons. Three, but only one of them is accompanying him." Sam kept talking about what he knew about dragons, and how incredible was for them to return now, in time of need. Jon was sure he should have paid attention to one or other thing his friend was saying but he had been caught up in the little detail.

Robb was married and he had a son. Not only that but over a year before he had been proclaimed King in the North, an old title that had not been used since Aegon the Conqueror had forced Torrhen Stark to bend the knee. It had taken another Targaryen to arrive, but this time she had decided to join a Stark.

It was only logical for Robb to aspire to be Warden of the North, but the false accusations against their father had forced him into taking different paths. Once in it, Jon could only imagine Robb's bravery and stubbornness had led him to be King.