Longing for Things to Come

The smell wafting around the kitchen was a mix of smoke and sweetness. The noise of pots and water boiling was a dissonant music with purpose. Daenerys had rarely witnessed the work there but now she wished to make sure things were perfect for Robb's twenty-first nameday. His first as king and the first he had a right to celebrate after being in the battlefield for so long.

Over the time since their arrival, she had noticed a change in his demeanor. Unlike her, Robb didn't seem to enjoy himself in this new position of power. He spent great time practicing archery with Theon or telling stories of greatness to Iagan. He dreaded to sit in his new throne and listen to people's complaints – he didn't feel adequate to teach justice, even if he had been the fairest of the fighters.

Meanwhile, she reveled in the love of their subjects. Dany sat in her throne and felt like she belonged. She had finally found her place in the world. At the top, where she could see everything and everyone and play with the pieces.

"It's certainly a surprise to find you here, Your Grace." Dany looked around her and found the inquisitive eyes of Tyrion. Since his release, Robb had taken a fondness for him – she had blamed it on his strange feeling of inadequacy and also because like all Starks, Robb enjoyed stories and learned through them. Besides, Tyrion happened to have a sharp and quick mind, perhaps the only quality he had inherited from his father.

She smiled graciously. "I'm making sure Robb's nameday will be a success. He has a love for rich food."

"Northmen food," Tyrion replied with an amused smile on his lips. "Too rich and heavy for these places."

Dany's smile turned brighter. "I somehow doubt you dislike it."

"Oh, please, don't mind me. It's well seasoned and savory. Needless to say, I never quite fit these places either."

She nodded thoughtfully. She supposed none of them really fit in, but they belonged to King's Landing. "Are you looking for wine?"

In response Tyrion lifted a cup and showed her the scarlet red liquid, making her chuckle. "It's turning cold now and what better to keep me warm. Of course, that beside a lady – not very ladylike, since they are the only ones interested in such a… broken man like myself."

"Robb still feels it's too hot. I wonder if he prays to the Old Gods for snow. If that's so, he might succeed soon enough." She moved and gave instructions of what food she wanted to one of the cooks. "According to some people, you've been seen with Margaery lately. I gather you've become close?"

Bowing his head, and avoiding her gaze, Tyrion replied, "I offered nothing more than friendship. She's felt very lonely and, well, I understand how it's to be abandoned by your family. Even if I assumed hers was forced, unlike mine."

"War damages everything that touches. There are no unharmed winners."

-o-

Days before, a raven had arrived informing Sansa and Arya would visit them to celebrate Robb's nameday. His brothers and mother would stay in Winterfell, as it was rule for at least one Stark to always be guarding the North. There was still much to do, many soldiers to return home and a life to go back to. Ser Jorah was still master-at-arms and as such he vowed to protect the Starks. Dany also suspected her old friend harbored feelings for Robb's mother, who after all the time spent worried for her family, had finally found peace. And Catelyn was a beautiful woman, strong and loyal, a great mother.

"Are you content?" Dany asked Robb while they walked towards the courtyard, one hand on his forearm and the other resting on her prominent belly. It wouldn't be long for their child to arrive. Luckily a new life would bring more joy to the Red Keep.