Interlude III

King's Landing

Through the castle, the fury of the Queen could be heard and felt. Even if she tried to keep her composure, she had not been as good at hiding her rage as she thought so.

"It's not possible!" she had screeched at her father, Hand of the King, who with usual calmness had informed her of the news. "How could you believe the words of a whore?"

Tywin Lannister looked disinterested. He could not care less about who his favorite son – sometimes only son, he thought – slept with. That Jaime had fathered a child was not the most scandalous rumor he had heard, but certainly one of the easiest to ignore. It was by far more disturbing to know about his grandchildren's origins.

"Are you saying a man, even the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, does not have urges?" He stood up slowly, watching as she tried to reign on her emotions. "Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more claims of alleged fatherhood all over the kingdom."

"How-"

"How?" he interrupted with an intimidating arched eyebrow. "Is Jaime not supposed to bed women? He is not promised to anyone. He might have sworn not to sire children, but he certainly can lay with a woman."

Cersei clenched her fists. Her muscles were taut with utter fury as her father spoke. She knew no one understood the deep connection she shared with Jaime. They were one soul, destined to be together from the womb. No one was powerful enough to break them apart.

"He is loyal to his king."

Tywin cupped her face and his long and hard fingers pressed her cheeks as if she were a child and he was disciplining her, forcing her to understand.

In a low and harsh whisper, he told her, "Do you know how long I have ignored this sickening situation? How many times I have covered up your indiscretions?"

The fear in her eyes was honest. She probably feared him the most out of all the men in all the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. Her father was a strong man, smart and cold. She could not remember the last time he had allowed his heart to make decisions, and often wondered if the time came, she would become as disposable as his servants.

He let go.

"In case everything fails, that girl, Jaime's babe is the only thing that could keep us with our heads over our shoulders. If that moment never arrives… she will be disposed. But be sure that I take that decision. Not you."

She had not replied and knew better than to contradict him in that moment. But she would plan something. A whisper could travel far if the right sum was paid to certain people. In every corner there was someone willing to sell their soul and honor for the right price, and once she found the right person, that babe would disappear. For good.

"You should be occupied with your son's wedding. I'm sure our King has some demands."

Cersei bit her tongue and just agreed.

Sometimes these games called for silence and waiting for the right moment to make a move.

-o-

Somewhere north of The Neck

After riding for hours, Jaime had decided to find a place to spend the night, alone in the darkness of the North, where cold seemed to grip your bones and the wind to whisper frightening tales in your ear.

He was not fond of those lands and missed the times he found the warm body of a woman in his arms, a woman of those lands whose cheeks the wind tinted pink. Daughter of the merciless weather, a fighter born in one of the most inhospitable places of the Seven Kingdoms; Dacey was certainly one he would consider worthy of being called brave.