Fly Into The Night

Looking through the windows of the castle, Daenerys watched the clouds being carried away by the wind. The wait for news, for a sign that it was safe to return to the mainland, felt eternal. She was not used to sit and wait for things to be over; she felt the pressing need to fight her war, and be next to her wolf, even if he wished for her to stay away from danger. All that and more forced her to make up her mind.

"I'll be leaving tonight," she said softly, as if it was a secret. And perhaps it was. She didn't want to tell Dacey about it yet, confident that her friend would care for her child in her absence, but wary about what her opinion on this decision could be. The risk of taking Iagan back to Winterfell was too big, especially considering she planned to ride Drogon to meet Robb's army in Harrenhal.

Jaime Lannister, who had forced himself to behave like a shadow around Bear Island, just barely nodded. He would stay there and protect his child and hers, as it was implied in her words.

"You do know that this will be the final battle, don't you?" she wondered while seeing Iagan playing with some carved figures given to him by Bran and Rickon before their departure. Her Ice Dragon was missing his family terribly, constantly asking about Sansa, Theon and his uncles. It was this that reminded her there were many things at stake for the Kingslayer too; he might have played the part of aloof and brash knight, but after seeing him with Berit, Dany knew he hid another person underneath the armor. He had a family, and even if he tried to make it seem like he did not care about them, he must have done it. Even she had honored Viserys by naming Viserion after him, despite everything.

Jaime painted a small and forced smile on his face. "Seems like the Young Wolf wants to take the last bite."

Dany turned and finally faced him directly. "We will win, and you know that. You know him and me. We haven't gotten this far to lose things over one moment of weakness. I can't apologize if that upsets you."

Jaime clenched his jaw, barely showing his true emotions. He had grown an expert in hiding his intentions and feelings, as every lord and knight should, unlike she had always done. She was not a proper lady, and that made her different. She had not had a septa or a loving mother to teach her the things ladies did or said.

"If I learned something from the boy," he smirked, aware of how much Robb hated to be called a boy, even if he still was a few moons away from his twentieth nameday. "And from you is that you're anything but weak. That my father has miscalculated his decisions, since by putting you through the hardships he has, you two have become stronger. You're aware of your strength and hide your weak spots quite well."

"So you understand why I have to go with him?" She asked as she kneeled near Iagan, running her fingers through his curly hair while he absently played. He might have had her hair and skin, but he was very much like his father.

"This is your war as much as it is his." Jaime moved away, towards the door. "And you're afraid for his well-being."

"He's in danger. Melissandre might want to hurt me, but she won't dare to come to me while I'm protected by my dragons." She ducked her head and pressed a soft kiss to Iagan's forehead. He awarded her a smile and a soft sound that warmed up her heart. "I need to keep mine safe."

"I'll take care of him," Jaime said, looking at Iagan. "If that's what you need me to do. If that is necessary to prove myself and keep my daughter."

"That's not my decision to make."

Jaime snorted a laugh. "And yet, Dacey won't even look at me, so I doubt she would address the subject. We owe each other nothing, but everything to our child."

"Circumstances weren't the best. You hurt her and there was no armor that could protect her from that harm."

She noticed the way his demeanor changed by the way he looked at her. "Are we in need of handkerchiefs to dry our tears? Your Grace, you should be ashamed of making cry a poor man like myself."