Wolf or Man

Since she had been gone, a part of him felt missing. For the first time he was alone. He had no mother to make him feel like a willful boy fighting a war against the proclaimed king, nor a wife who made him feel like a man about to be father of the heir of the North and all the Seven Kingdoms.

Robb didn't even have Theon to make crude jokes and stupid remarks about the conditions in which they were living in that camp. He almost missed the jest his friend made about whores and how they were throwing themselves for free at the King in the North. In his head – and heart – he had no room for any other but Dany. He just had no clue as to why and how they had grown so close.

Still looking at his map and the wooden figurines representing the armies, Robb wished he could knock them down as easily. That way war would be over and he could go back home to his child and wife, to his brothers, and his sisters that he would save. Perhaps he would plan a trip to The Wall to visit Jon and tell him about his nephew. But that was nothing more than wishful thinking.

He was no longer fighting a war to just avenge his father's death and free the North from the claws of greedy monarchs who wanted to rule over others and enjoy the wealth of fortunes they amassed by disregarding their duties with their people. Time and battles, marriage and the loss of his father, everything till that moment had led to him to fight for the Iron Throne. There was no turning back. He had to go forward and fight war until the end. Anything less would cost him more than he was willing to pay.

As far as he knew, Daenerys no longer wished the title of Queen with the same passion as when he met her for the first time. Along the way, she had found more to live for – a babe and family. She was so different from the coldhearted woman he had imagined.

He took a small piece of raw meat and placed it in front of Rhaegal; and a part of the rather large steak was fed to Grey Wind. Watching the dragon quietly roasting his food and eating, he was reminded of Dany and her love for her children, her dragons; the last of them.

One of his hands scratched Grey Wind's neck while he kept feeding the green dragon. So far, he had behaved as much as possible for such young beast and, next to Grey Wind, had also helped him to build a reputation of a frightening being – the Young Wolf.

"You better be nice," he muttered, smirking at Rhaegal. "No more burning," his blue eyes fell upon his direwolf, "or trying to bite Olyvar's fingers. He's been the only one willing to get near you beside me."

Grey Wind looked slightly ashamed as he whined but Rhaegal was haughty like a woman he knew. Sometimes they were the only ones he could talk to because Dany wasn't there anymore.

"Your Grace?" Smalljon Umber asked as he poked his head inside the tent. He looked as tall as his father but younger and wilder if possible.

Robb lifted his gaze, as someone who was expecting to see another man replying to the greeting. He couldn't seem to get used to his new title. But he soon stood up; Rhaegal was quick to find a place next to him, on Grey Wind's back.

"Smalljon."

"We've captured a man who was lurking around the camp. He injured two men." His straight and hard face spoke about his inheritance as a Northman. "He claims to know your lady wife. He demands to see her."

His brow furrowed. "Have you told him she is no longer here?"

"No. We haven't said a thing. We await your orders."

Taking his cloak and draping it over his shoulders, Robb said firmly, "Lead the way. I want to hear what he wants with my wife and why he came."

-o-

As he approached the man held by a few of his soldiers, Robb studied him. He was older, older than his own father would have been, yet he had the same demeanor most Northmen had, but his skin signaled he had spent a long time under a sun that was far warmer than the one in those lands.