chainsmoking

35.

QUINN'S POV

"How does that look?" The stylist takes a small step back, fluffing out the ends. I tilt my head back and forth, my hair a soft golden tone.

"Perfect," I smile and run my hand through it. He takes me to the front to pay. I adjust my grip on Cherry and my bag, and head out the door, feeling clean.

 I adjust my grip on Cherry and my bag, and head out the door, feeling clean

To be completely honest, I think I like the blonde best. It took me a very long time to separate that opinion from Harry's. But talking to Bea in therapy the other day made me realize just how much I missed the color. I can't help but stare at myself in every window I walk by, grinning ear to ear.

It's been one week since Cancún. Since wandering a foreign country hand in hand with him. He's so easy and fun to travel with. That's when I feel most comfortable I think. Not that I'm uncomfortable when we're home. But when we're travelling, everything seems less real, permanent. It's like a dream, a honeymoon. We're both free of any other obligations except each other.

I unlock my front door and step into the apartment.

"Wait!" Emma shrieks from the leather chair and covers her eyes. "I didn't guess!"

"I close the door slightly to hide my appearance. "Well?"

"Um," I hear her bite her lip. "Red? No pink. Or maybe blue again?" I laugh.

"Ready?"

"Yes."

I open the door to reveal my hair. She peeks out between her fingers, and when she sees me, squeals.

"Yes!" She shouts again and jumps out of the chair, running over to touch my blonde hair. "I was secretly hoping this was what it was going to be."

I narrow my eyes at her. "You would have said that no matter what."

She shrugs and waltzes back into the apartment. "Leo!" She calls. "Cou cou! Come see Mom's new hair!" He meows lazily and wanders out of our bedroom. Seeing me, he comes over and rams himself into my leg. I laugh. "I'm surprised he's not anxious about all the boxes." Emma murmurs. She folds her arms and leans against the wall, watching me.

I reach down to scratch him between his ears. "He's probably never moved places like this before. Being in the shelter his whole life and all."

"I'm sure he'll get upset once we take away his chair," she chuckles. I stand back up and move to her, wrapping my arms around her neck.

"Yeah, but we aren't getting rid of that."

"Of course not. Think of the memories."

"You sure you're okay with all of this?" I squint at her and gesture with my head at our apartment. She nods.

"I'm excited for more natural light."

I chuckle and let go, moving to the kitchen, "You're such a plant." I reach above the fridge to grab a bag of potato chips.