eighteen

~*~*~

~*~*~

"you're lucky you're cute."

~*~*~

"i have no idea what you're talking about," said james with a scoff, "i did not purposefully throw him off the scent."

"you're an idiot," said remus bluntly.

"the evidence does support that," replied james, looking down at his lap trying to escape his best friend's judgmental stare, "i made a mistake, alright?"

"you purposefully sabotaged alana's near relationship with dylan," said remus, the same sentence he'd repeated for the sixth time, "that's not a mistake that's being a prat willingly."

"i didn't mean -"

"- then what did you mean?" asked remus with a challenging look, "i'm not getting involved in what ever the fuck is going on right now but it's up to you to make it right. perhaps, think really hard about why you wanted to sabotage that relationship. i know why, but let's see if you can rub the two brain cells you have together and come up with the same conclusion i have."

remus got up from the gryffindor table and left, probably to find sirius. when he was gone, james saw dylan at the slytherin table. james knew he had to make it up to alana, do the right thing, even though it made him feel a little nauseous and ill tempered.

"alright, mate?" asked james with a smile on his face as he sat on the bench at the slytherin table. he had his back to the table so he didn't have to see the slytherins who were probably gawking at him.

"what do you want?"

"i'm sorry about what i said," said james, he wasn't going to admit he purposefully gave him bad advice, "turns out, i don't know what alana wants. but listen, she's the greatest girl you'll ever meet and i think she does like you. i know one thing, she's fierce as hell and all she'll want is for you to talk to her."

"but she said -"

"- i know she was harsh, and that's my fault," admitted james, "just give it a try and see what she says. if you like her as much as you say you do, then what's stopping you? if she agrees to see you again, you're the luckiest guy ever."

james patted his shoulder, he hoped dylan didn't think it was in a patronising way because it wasn't. he walked away from the slytherin table and he felt heavy with emotions and he was feeling so much at the one time. he was glad to have done the right thing by his friend, but he also felt like he'd just given away his most prized possession and he'd never get it back.

not that alana belonged to him, that's not what he meant. he meant like he let robbers into his home, take all of his things and then made them a cup of tea in the mean time. he felt so strange, he couldn't pin it.

he hoped they were happy.

* * *

"i'm so sorry," said dylan as soon as alana stepped out of the library.

"what?" said alana, literally not knowing what to say as she looked at him quizzically. then she noticed there were a bouquet of flowers that looked like they were pulled right from the earth, "don't let peter see that."

"i won't," said dylan with a chuckle that made alana do the same, "i totally messed up and i assumed you didn't like me rather than just asking you and finding out how you felt."

alana felt a little bashful as he stood there with those flowers and that smile.

"can i please get another chance? i promise i won't let you down," asked dylan, he had a hopeful look on his face but he did brace himself to be rejected.

alana thought about it. he was nice, he was being more thoughtful and most of all, he wasn't in a relationship with someone else. he liked her and she liked him, she didn't know whether it was platonically or otherwise but why not find out?

"you're lucky you're cute," said alana, a smile spread onto her face. he tried to kiss her but alana told him he'd have to earn that privilege which he respected and handed her the flowers, "what gave you the guts to come and talk to me then?"

"i took james' advice and it worked this time," said dylan as he scratched the back of his neck, "that's one great best mate you've got."

"yeah," agreed alana with a smile that was genuine because he was a great best friend, but, that proved he really didn't see her as anything else.

alana returned to the common room, she had to dump the flowers out the window on her way there because peter would've had a heart attack at the sight.

"hey, lana," smiled sirius as he pulled her down to the sofa to sit next to him.

"where's james?" asked alana, looking around to see sirius, peter and remus but no james.

"lily fetched him about a half hour ago," said peter nonchalantly, he was writing his herbology essay that alana would surely get to at some point.

"y'know, james told dylan to get me back," said alana out loud, mostly to remus because he knew of alana's feelings predicament and would hopefully give some sound advice.

"what?" asked remus dryly, "i didn't tell him- i didn't know he was going to do that."

"i like dylan," said sirius with a nod, "he seems to really like you."

"yeah, he's got a really nice smile," said peter with a nod.

"are you sure you don't want to date him, wormtail?" asked sirius with a chuckle.

"i wouldn't rule it out," shrugged peter to which alana rolled her eyes and looked to remus with a proving look that said that's why i can't tell him.

he pushed another guy towards her, if she'd told him how she felt, he'd probably just laugh in her face and run the opposite direction.

- - -

a/n

remus is having an aneurysm because james as zero observation skills and alana is too sweet to say she wants james' pp like-

ALSO, i know this is a lot of back and forth but it's the DRAMA and because i don't want james and alana/jalana to get together at like chapter 5 because what's the point in that?