twenty two

~*~*~

~*~*~

"what's so special about him?"

~*~*~

alana and peter were on the dance floor dancing to the music. alana spun peter around and egged him on to dance like her and not care who was watching.

"c'mon, pete!" shouted alana over the music to peter who looked rigid.

"you look normal doing it, i don't!" retorted peter to which alana rolled her eyes and took his hands and pulled him forward and swung their arms back and forth stupidly.

alana sang the music the band was playing and since she had rhythm, her dancing wasn't as awkward as peter's but he looked so carefree and adorable that she didn't dare tell him that. alana closed her eyes and enjoyed the music, completely forgetting about her moral and relationship problems. well, that was until dylan finally spotted her with peter.

"there you are," grinned dylan as he spun her around by pulling her hand then resting his hands on her hips, "you look amazing."

"thanks, erm, listen, i'm dancing with pete the now but i can come see you after this song," said alana, gesturing to peter who was still dancing, "i need to talk to you about something."

"yeah, of course you can," smiled dylan, he gave her side a squeeze as though to feel her up in a non-perverted way because dylan really wasn't like that. he was a good guy which made alana feel bad about what she was going to tell him, "enjoy your song."

alana turned back to peter who twirled her around which automatically took her mind off of it, momentarily. alana never wanted the song to end, she didn't want to hurt anyone but she couldn't lead him on any longer, she knew it wasn't going to get any better and she knew the spark wasn't going to happen and you can't force these types of things.

if there's nothing there, then it probably won't happen. 

peter gave alana a kiss on the cheek then headed back to the table.

"where's lana?" asked james worriedly, he looked to peter who held a finger up as he chugged down a cup of water.

"breaking up with dylan," answered peter nonchalantly.

remus done a mini fist bump under the table and grinned like an idiot while sirius nudged james' elbow and wiggled his brows. james tried to fight off a smile but it was no use, this was his time. should he wait a couple of weeks or jump right in? he wasn't sure.

"how was your dance?" asked dylan as he wrapped an arm around alana's shoulder when she sat down.

"good," nodded alana, she felt sick to her stomach when her eyes slowly met his, "dylan, can we talk about us?"

"here we go," sighed dylan as he looked down at his lap with a grin on his face that was more bemused than anything, "it's james, isn't it?"

"what?" asked alana with furrowed brows, he moved his arm from her shoulder and looked over his shoulder at the table of marauders bitterly then back to alana.

"don't talk to me like i'm stupid," said dylan, "what's so special about him?"

"this isn't about james, this is about how i feel," said alana, it wasn't necessarily about james although he was a factor as to why she didn't have feelings for dylan, "i don't think it's working out, you like me more than i like you. i like you as a friend and i'd like to be your friend, if you'll have me."

"i need to be alone," said dylan as he got up from his seat, he turned to alana who was still sitting, "i hope he makes you happy. until lily evans comes back to him."

alana's mouth was agape at his harsh words. he'd already left and alana felt even more nauseous. she was trying to be kind and civil about it but he just said something horrible like that. alana's lip trembled at what he'd said, it was stupid to cry over it because alana knew james didn't like lily. that didn't matter because he didn't like her anyway, which was why dylan's words really did hurt.

alana got up from the seat and weaved her way in and out of the dancing and illegally drunk people. she put her hand over her mouth to contain her sobs and darted to the great hall doors.

alana had been harbouring all of these emotions of jealousy, confusion, guilt and anxiety for three months or so and at dylan's harsh words, it was like a kick in the teeth and the straw on the camels back. alana didn't even realise someone was running after her until she was engulfed in a familiar and warm hug that felt like diving into a warm bath after a cold quidditch practice or game.

"i take it didn't go well then?" whispered james into the top of alana's head as the two stood in the corridor in a close hug.

"he said something that hurt, a lot," mumbled alana, threading her fingers together so her arms stayed around his waist securely.

"what did he say?" asked james, he kept his voice low and soft although he felt anger bubbling inside him at what dylan could've possibly said. it wasn't just petty jealousy he was feeling now, there would be no reason to feel like that anymore.

"i can't tell you," said alana, she felt embarrassed at what dylan had said. it was humiliating that even he seemed to know james didn't have the slightest interest in her.

"course you can," said james, "you can tell me anything."

"it will ruin our friendship," said alana, she felt strange. it was like she was drunk and she had liquid courage to beat around the bush a little. however, she wasn't truly drunk, so she didn't have that kind of liquid courage to actually tell him.

"i bet it won't," replied james, because he knew, he knew exactly what she was implying. he wanted her so badly to say it, so he could say it back and all of this uncertainty and back and forth bullshit can end and they can be together and just be happy. 

"i think- i think," stammered alana, burrowing her head further into his chest, if that was even possible, "i think i need to sort my head out."

james sighed, of course she needed time and space. away from james, away from dylan and the christmas break was the perfect time for her to have some alone time and to think. he was happy to give her time.

she'd been patient with him, so he was going to patient with her.

"i think you're right."

- - -

a/n

dylan is bitter but i kinda wanted to do that because he obviously really likes alana and he feels sad

um, chile...anyways, stan jalana 💅🏻✨