twenty four

~*~*~

~*~*~

"it's actually queen lana."

~*~*~

alana wandered down the stairs of her house lazily as she rubbed her tired eyes. alana was surprised that there wasn't any noise.

usually, in the morning the sound of her dad cooking breakfast clattered through the house which was the thing that ultimately woke alana up. however, it was as quiet as anything in the house which confused alana.

"dad?" called alana as neared the kitchen and looked around which was when she spotted the note on the kitchen table.

went to the shops for some christmas supplies xx
- dad

alana placed the note back down and with a yawn, went to the kettle and filled it with water then let it boil as she got her teacup ready. alana turned to the fridge to retrieve the milk and when she turned to go back to the counter, she swore she saw a glimpse of a deer out of the window of the back door.

for context, alana's back garden wasn't really much of a back garden. there was a patch of grass her dad groomed and took care of and what not, which lead onto a forest of trees which was the natural habit of british wildlife. it wasn't uncommon for alana or her dad to spot a deer or a fox, sometimes little hedgehogs found their way onto their back garden which was pretty much a free roam for wild animals anyway.

alana lived in a niche little village and the houses were few and far between and spread out a fair distance that it sometimes felt alana's was the only house in the world. she loved that feeling.

alana quickly made her tea then went back to the back door, grabbing her dad's camera on her way. the girl sighed and slumped her shoulders when the deer was nowhere to be seen, she was sure her dad would've loved to have captured another deer to add to his photo album of wild animals he'd snapped shots of.

alana's dad, samuel, better known as as sam, was a very outdoorsy guy. he loved going camping, seeing nature and the world in it's rare beauty and he'd passed that love down to alana. he's collected photographs of different places he's been like iceland, japan, australia, france, even the united states, and sorted all of them into different photo albums which alana religiously looked through and couldn't wait to have her own adventures.

alana's favourite photo album to look through was definitely the one with all the photographs he'd taken of the house and the surrounding area, the wildlife especially. alana loved this one the most because she loved animals but also because there was a guarantee there would be no photographs of her mum. she didn't like looking at photos of her mum, it made her sad yet extremely angry and she hated being angry at christmas. it was a time to be happy and no one was going to ruin that for her.

"finally," yelled alana with mock impatience when she heard the front door open and close.

alana jumped from her bed, gently placing down her guitar, and bolted out of her room down the stairs. she caught a glimpse of her dad's head who was laughing at her enthusiasm.

"took you long enough," joked alana with a shake of her head as her dad placed the shopping bags onto the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"sorry there, princess lana, didn't know i was on a timer," retorted sam, who ruffled his daughter's hair on his trip to the fridge with bits and bobs for their christmas dinner.

"it's actually queen lana," corrected alana who pointed her finger at her dad who rolled his eyes making her laugh.

"okay, queen lana," said sam, his voice amused, "when was the last time you gave that mop you call hair a wash?"

"dad, it's a whole process," groaned alana, catching her reflection in the window.

it wasn't a pretty picture but she didn't particularly care.

"are you going to invite your friends over?" asked sam, who loved and got on with the marauders.

"erm, probably not," said alana, for reasons she wasn't sure whether to expose to her dad, "peter is in america for christmas with his family, so it wouldn't feel right hanging out without him and i know he'd get fomo."

"fomo?"

"fear of missing out," answered alana impatiently, "bloody hell, dad, you're not that old."

"are remus and sirius still together?" asked sam, still packing the shopping away while alana sat on one of the stools with her elbows on the kitchen island.

"yeah," nodded alana, "still going strong."

"i'm happy for them," said sam genuinely, "anyone on your radar?"

"i had a boyfriend for a month and a bit but i dumped him," answered alana bluntly to which her dad nodded along to.

"why?"

"just wasn't feeling it," shrugged alana, "i do like a boy though, but i'm not entirely sure if he likes me back."

"well, obviously, this boy is a complete imbecile if he doesn't like you back," stated sam assuredly, "tell me who and i'll go and politely tell him to get his act together. in a nonthreatening way, of course."

alana looked down at her clasped hands and laughed, "there'll be no need for that, dad."

"just in case," said sam, pointing to the baseball bat that was leaning against the wall in the corner of the dining room which was adjacent to the kitchen.

why was there a bat there? alana hadn't had the faintest clue.

"you're better off telling him how feel," said sam, adopting a serious demeanour he rarely had, "better off knowing than not knowing. when you tell him, it might not go your way but it could, he could feel the same. if you don't tell him, then you'll never know. that's a waste."

after sam's words, he went back to the shopping but alana pondered his words. he was right, why is he always bloody right?

"does this mystery man have a name?" asked sam, his nosy fatherly side coming out.

"james," said alana, sam nodded and she waited for him to understand who she was talking about.

the very boy who was here during summer, telling sam about quidditch, which he'd disclosed he'd already heard a lot about it from alana.

"oh, james, as in james?" questioned sam, peaking his head over the other side of the island as he was putting things in the cupboard.

"yeah, that one."

"he's a good kid," said sam, "i think you should tell him."

"i will."

- - -

a/n

just wanted to write a chapter dedicated to this dad and daughter duo.

samuel ainsworth for president. periodt.