Second home

Her plan went awry. It wasn't going to happen. Or maybe it would, but she wasn't going to be able to join her best friends to their mission - spy on Snape.

"Leave the Hospital Wing; then find Snape and follow him. I know the way", Venus thought and planned, before executing her plan.

"What are you doing outside?! Students are not allowed to walk around at this time!" - said Argus Filch.

"I am very sorry for being out here this late, Mister Filch." - Venus apologized, trying to sound the most polite and sorry that she could.

"Mister... Filch?" - he mumbled, relaxing his face at how she called him. He then spotted the Slytherin "sign" on her robe, making him doubt her ways.

"Um yes. Or should I call you Filchy? I think it's better. Well, anyways, I was only looking for..."

In twenty years of being a caretaker, she was the only one who had ever called him that. The only one who treated him equally. Who treated him respectfully.

"Filch! Filchy, so how are youu? I apologize for not even asking this first!" - the girl tried to distract him, as she spotted her three best friends walking behind the man.

Ron waved at her, flashing a friendly grin at her. Hermione mouthed, "i missed you", to the girl with a joyful smile. And Harry tried to look at her quickly, after Hermione tried to pull him to walk faster.

"Excuse meh?" - Flich snapped his fingers in front of the girl's face closely, finally catching her attention. "Your name, Miss? You are...?"

"I am... I am Venus Long. But you can call me Vee!" - she said, pulling her hand out to handshake, remembering her first time meeting Draco. She missed him.

The disgruntled man looked at her hand, just like how she looked at Draco's once, but he had a completely different reaction — he didn't give her a hug, nor a handshake. His reaction was blank and the girl couldn't decide if what she just said and did was a good or a bad move.

He just rudely said: "Meh... alright. Now go do whatever you need... quickly! But go back to your bed. No students are allowed to walk around at this time... Miss Long."

"I will, Mister Filtch. Don't worry. And have a good night, sir!" - said Venus, with a warm smile, as she walked away quickly.

He was shocked. Surprised. He stared at the spot the girl was seconds ago, still dazed and unable to move. This girl is from another world, he thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gryffindor!" - Dumbledore yelled, as the flags, hanging on the ceiling of the Great Hall, turned red and into Gryffindor's from Slytherin's.

Draco took his hat off and threw it on the table harshly. Venus just laughed at his behavior and smiled at her Gryffindor friends.

"It's just a game, Draco. We'll win next year's." - spoke Venus with a relaxed voice, as she put a hand on the boy's shoulder.

He looked back at her with his frowned eyebrows, before somehow his face started relaxing and a smile appeared on his lips.

"You're right, Vee. We will."
"And we'll make sure of it." - they said in sync, before laughing.

The other Slytherins friends and mates just exchanged confused looks and shrugged at each other. It was a phrase both of the two kids were very familiar with, since their fathers used it frequently.

"Past this whole year, some of you might have sent or gotten letters. Well, as it happens yearly, there are deliveries that arrived for some of you this year."

A couple of owls came inside the Great Hall, flying around the room. They held letters or packages and dropped them to a certain student. As the students watched them amusedly, Flash flied over the Slytherin table and landed in front of Venus, who noticed the letter he was delivering. She took it from the owl's beak and observed it. A very light yellowish letter, with a golden and somehow shining stamp sealed on it.

"Who is it from?"
"My parents!" - Venus answered with a wide smile.

She would miss her parents every day. Although they would be absent most of the times when she was at the Manor, she still missed the little time she was able to spend with them. Specially with Frederick, who was her only company at all times. She had lots of news to share with him. He would always be her listener and, in her words, "advice giver".

As she opened the letter, a small letter with writing on it stayed inside. She took it out and started reading.

————————————————————————
Dear Vee,

It's great to hear from you, darling! We are really proud and happy for you. I bet you are having an awesome experience, studying at Hogwarts. Uncle Snape wrote us recently and I realized I was right! You have never disappointed or disappoint me. You only surprise me even more with each passing day.

The way that you are, I already know that you have made friends. And maybe even best friends. Dad's curious on knowing all of them later! But just make sure you don't sort the wrong ones, baby. It is very important to always honor the family's name.

Fred told me that he expects plenty of stories to be told by you. We are already aware of the one about your little breakdown. And I want to let you know that we are actually very impressed with your skills, so I hope you are having a good recovery from it. And you better not have gotten yourself in any more trouble, young lady!

Anyways, me and your mother. Actually, me, your mother and Fred and probably more creatures miss you lots.
See ya soon! We love you!

P.S.: Please don't tell your mother, but I'm excited to hear detention and crazy stories too!

With all my love,
Damon.
————————————————————————

The girl finished reading with a small smile now. Draco observed her reaction and her face expressions' swings.

"Are you okay, Vee?" - asked the lonely boy, as he put a hand on the happy girl's right shoulder.

"Uh yes, yes, Draco. I am okay, don't worry. I just... I just miss them."

"Alright then... um do you want to study or hang out later?"
"Sure!"
"Really?!"

"Yes, silly!" - said Venus, giggling.

And back to the old days, it felt like. Draco Malfoy and Venus Long. Laughing and talking just how they used to. It was one of the rare moments they would have and wish it was longer. Spending the whole day together, sharing funny stories and secrets. Common things to do in a healthy friendship.

It felt like it was probably one of the best years she ever had in her 11 years. It was amazing. She had no concerns, studying at Hogwarts in that year. It was the place she felt free and good. Not even the studies, grades or classes would concern her. She had her ways. She knew what she had to do. She was happy. As she was before. And he? He seemed to be happy next to her.

Maybe Hogwarts really was her and his home. First or second, well, it doesn't matter which was. But it surely was their home.

-End of First Year-