Challenge Extended

"Hajime, this is a really bad idea. I mean, this is Nagito Komaeda we're talking about here! I'm fairly certain it won't end well." My peach-haired friend tells me as we lean against our respective lockers.

   "You don't understand! Everyone who knows me already thinks I'm some average, loser nobody, but if I can beat the Nagito Komaeda in a gambling match then, I don't know, maybe I'll have an actual chance at being something of significance!" I reply, stamping my foot for emphasis. 

   "Or you'll end up with an even worse crushing debt that you have right now, one you'll never escape! You're the one who's not comprehending this, Hajime, Komaeda is extraordinary! He's unbeatable, you know that! Please, Hajime, it's not worth it!" She argues, a desperation in her tone, eyes crinkling with worry. I lay my hand on top of hers, giving it a soft, reassuring pat.

   "I can do this," I promise, "I-no, this is just something I need to do. I have to do this, to prove to myself and everyone around me that I actually have some worth!" She shakes her head.

   "You're going to lose, Hajime. And believe me, life will be even worse as a Housepet. You have no idea of knowing how large he'll want to wager!"

   "Come on, Chiaki, can't you believe in me just once?!" I groan.

   "I'm always in your corner, Haj. I'm just trying to look out for you. Please, don't do this."

   I open my mouth to refute what she just said but immediately trail off at the sound of a new set of footsteps moving down the hall. Naturally we both turn to get a better look. Teenagers are just nosy like that sometimes. 

   With one rolled-up-sleeve arm, the owner of the footsteps, Nagito Komaeda himself, tucks a white lock of hair out of his shiny green-grey eyes, flashing everyone around him a friendly smile. Not that anyone should be deceived by a cheery smile like that of course. For anyone who had ever witnessed a Komaeda gamble, they already knew he was a merciless demon when it came to gambling.

   He had taken millions upon millions of yen from hundreds of students, all done with that stupid, carefree smile. A lot of people chalk it up to cheating, or maybe he knew the tricks to all the games, I'm not sure. Whenever people dared to ask about his gambling methods and strategies, he'd claim it was all merely 'good luck.'

   Yet despite everything, the one thing that was certain was that he absolutely adored gambling, like most people in this school. He relished the risk. He plays like...he doesn't care what happens to him in the end. Like. . .he has nothing to live for.

   "Hajime, I'm begging you, don't do this!" Chiaki pleads. I shake her off gently.

   "It's going to be fine." I promise. And with those words I step away from her, into the center of the hall.

   "Uh, Nagito? Nagito Komaeda?" I call out hesitantly, not sure if he would pick up my voice from this far away, or even acknowledge a nobody like me for that matter. But to my surprise, he slowly comes to a stop and turns to face me, eyes wide and curious.

   "Yes?~" He asks softly, voice just as smooth as silk. I gulp nervously.

   "M-...My name is Hajime Hinata and I would like to gamble with you!" I blurt out quickly. It feels like word vomit, even though this is something I had planned out and rehearsed in front of the mirror even. But it's probably just my nerves.

   His eyes widened in surprise, cocking his head to the side curiously. His eyes then run over me, taking my entire pathetic appearance in. I can't help but stiffen under his powerful, dominating gaze, making me both nervous and excited at the same time. After what feels like an eternity, he smiles.