Memory and Housepets

(I like how I always have a komahina story on the go to keep my hands busy.)

  (Deal with the devil, I'll see right through you, and make you all mine...)

   Quickly regaining my composure, I slowly approach Hajime. I take his arm, helping him to his feet, easily catching him when he stumbles. "Are you alright?" I ask in a murmur, "were you drugged?"

   He shakes his head slowly. "No, just knocked out. My head hurts." He mutters, rubbing at the back of his head. My grip on him tightens.

   "Junko, please, he's in no condition to play. The gamble won't be fair." I sigh, glancing over my shoulder at her. She rolls her eyes in turn.

   "It's never a fair gamble with that ridiculous luck of yours," She states, "besides, it's his own fault for being so weak. Hinata plays or Hinata dies." Mukuro lifts her gun-bearing arm for emphasis.

   "I can't-I don't want to be a Housepet." He mumbles anxiously, face going pale. However I'm quick to assure him;

   "I believe in you. It's just a stupid game." I say, taking the tag off of him and tossing it to the side.

   Although it's so much more than that. It's a gamble! A thrilling battle between hope and despair-and I'm once again going to gamble with who is practically the embodiment of despair-aah~ It's so exciting! Gambling with Hajime and despair. . .I won't let you down, Hajime, so please watch me!

   "Whatever." Hajime mumbles, brushing past me to have a seat at the table. I don't hesitate to follow. I sit at one end of the perfectly-square table, Hajime sitting to my right. Junko sits across from me, a devilish smirk gracing her face.

   I lean forward in my seat, lazily resting my chin in my hands. "What'll it be, Junko?" I ask, letting out a yawn. She wrinkles her nose.

   "I'm so glad you asked! It's just a simple tournament of Memory, I'm sure you two remember the rules," She sighs, "flip the cards over to make pairs from memory. Hajime and I will play first and the loser will play you. First person to lose to two people will be the loser and will attain Housepet status with how big this wager will be. Then the two others will play to see who receives the money. As for the wager. . .two billion sounds good, right?"

   Mukuro points her gun at us, practically forcing us to agree. I smile sweetly.

   "Certainly, wouldn't you agree, Hajime?" I reply, glancing at him. He looks like a nervous wreck. He. . .really doesn't want to become a Housepet, does he?

   But why exactly, I wonder? We wouldn't leave him, Sonia's status is proof of that. Then, perhaps he is worried someone will think less of him, like Chiaki maybe? No, that can't be it. . .maybe the way the rest of the students will treat him then? Hmm. . .

   ". . .Yep." He answers, voice cold and empty. Junko claps her hands together, lighting up once more.

   "Great! Let's begin then!"

   Mukuro produces two fresh packs of cards from her pocket and silently passes them to Junko. They're definitely new, never been used. You can tell by the shiny plastic still encasing them. Junko easily slices through it with her long crimson nail and begins shuffling the first deck rapidly.

   "Hajime, you're up first. And just to be clear, you want the cards to match exactly. An ace of spades with an ace of spades for example," She explains, setting the first deck down and proceeding to shuffle the other, "We'll play until we're either down to the last few cards or we call a Mercy."

   "Sure." Hajime agrees with a dry tone. I offer him a bright smile and a wink. This makes him look away immediately, cheeks holding just a hint of pink.