Hope For The Future

NAGITO POV

   Out of the barrel comes a bullet. 

   It flies across the room towards me in what has got to be less than a second. Fortunately, her aim is a little off and her bullet merely skims my left shoulder.

   "Ouch!" I exclaim, wincing a little. I don't think it will require too much attention. I'll just see a doctor quickly after this to be sure. . .

   "What. . .What is this?!" Celestia shouts angrily, throwing the gun down on the floor.

   Ah, I've almost forgotten that this means Celestia's lost, huh?

   ". . .Celestia Ludenberg has lost and will therefore be leaving Hyakkaou Academy. As agreed upon previously, Nagito Komaeda is the next President of Hyakkaou Academy." Kirumi announces with a weary sigh before leaving the room, going back to the dance most likely. 

   I jump, smiling. "I'm the next President?" I point to myself, "Me?! Wow. I've beat the great Celestia Ludenberg and quite easily! Not so tough now, are you? You couldn't even send a competent hitman!" I taunt. 

   Celestia appears to be shaking with rage, Kyoko hurrying to comfort her girlfriend as I stand and stretch. I'd love to stay and gloat a little more but I really should get going to see Hajime. . . "Now I'm terribly sorry but I've got to go. My boyfriend is waiting for me in his hospital bed! Bye now!" I chirp, practically skipping out of the room.

   HAJIME POV

   Shuichi leaps out of his seat, eyes nearly bulging out of his face as he stares down at his phone in shock. "Komaeda beat Celestia in a modified Russian Roulette! It's a runaway so he's going to be crowned the next President tomorrow! He's on his way here!" He announces happily.

   I sit up in my chair. "Really? He did it? That's amazing!" I exclaim, clapping my hands together. Chiaki beams.

   "He did it! He really did it!" She agrees, wiping a tear of happiness from her eye. Shuichi squeezes Kokichi's hand.

   "He'll be up here any second now." He informs us. 

    Suddenly the door flies open and a very tired-looking Nagito walks into the room, rubbing his eyes. 

   "Nagito!" I cry out semi-pathetically, reaching out for him. 

   He looks down at me and smiles. "Hey sweetheart," He greets me, "how are you holding up?"

   I shrug. "Better now that you're here." I respond shyly, looking away with rosy cheeks.

   Komaeda looks around at everyone else. "Hey everyone, I'm sorry to ask this but could you guys give me a moment alone with Hajime?" He asks.

   Kokichi opens his mouth to protest but Shuichi clamps his hand over his mouth before he can do so. "It'll be no problem. Guys, let's go look at the babies in the Maternity Ward." He suggests.

   "Great idea!" Sonia agrees and with that the four of them walk out of the room. Nagito shuts the door behind them before coming to sit on my bed, eyes furrowed in worry.

   "Hajime. . .I'm sorry. I should've listened to you. If I believed you, you wouldn't be here right now with a painful gunshot wound!" He says sadly.

   I reach for his hand and grab it. "Hey, it's no problem. It's not your fault. I chose to dive in front of that bullet, you didn't force me. Besides if I didn't do that it would have been much worse for you, and that would've destroyed me too, so chin up, okay?" I explain.

   He sighs, staring down at his lap. "Hajime. . .it's not safe for you to be around me. Or any of the others for that matter. I've got a lot of enemies and seem to always get myself into all sorts of trouble, it's not safe."