The Calm Before The Storm

Nagito leans forward in his seat, watching as Miu prepares the cards. I lean a little closer to him. If he can somehow take all five hundred of Miu's staked votes then Celestia will just have to play against him and surely he can beat her! And then this gloomy despair cast over our school life can finally be over!  

   Miu is serving as dealer and Nagito is guessing.  And with that astonishing good luck of his, we're sure to win here! The game is in our favor as well; with each correct guess from Nagito we get three times his bet, remember?!

   "Hajime, you're practically glowing." Nagito remarks with a slight smile as he glances over at me, "you look quite hopeful."

   I smile. "I'm just feeling optimistic." I respond happily. He nods slightly, eyes twinkling, before focusing back on Miu. 

   Miu carefully shuffles the cards and lays them out in front of Nagito. "Make your first bet, Nagi-hoe." She sniffs.

   "Nagihoe?" He mumbles to himself. 

   I roll my eyes. "Just ignore it and place your bet." I mutter. 

   Komaeda smiles. "Okay. All in." 

   I lightly slap the back of his head. "You're not betting it all on the first round!" I scold. 

   "Such a buzzkill, Hajime," He whines, "Fine. Fifty votes then."

   And as he says that he counts out fifty of his chips and lays them on the table. Miu nods her head, giving the three cards one last shuffle.

   "Alright! Where's Hit?" She demands. Kaede pulls up a chair next to her and rests her head on her girlfriend's shoulder. 

   Nagito strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Perhaps. . .on my right?" He answers. 

   Miu flips it over and snorts. "Ha! That's fifty more for me!" She cheers, sliding the chips towards herself. 

   I frown, earning a concerned look from Nagito. "Don't despair, darling, I'll win it all back with ease." He assures me. 

   "Alright Marshmallow-Hair, what'll it be now?" Miu demands.

"I believe one-hundred of my votes will suffice this round." Nagito replies.

I grit my teeth. I can't believe I love this reckless boy-this reckless boy's hope, that is! Yeah that's it. But seriously, he's going to lose everything he's been working for for the past month. But then again if he wins he'll bring back three-hundred, hmm. . .

"One-hundred!" Miu barks back, shuffling the cards once again, "Okay, where?"

"Middle?" He guesses. Miu flips it over with a wide grin. It's a miss.

So far Nagito has lost one-hundred and fifty votes. So much for that luck of his.

"Oh dear, how troubling. . ," Nagito sighs casually, "I've already lost more than I've planned. Even if I bet it all, all I'll gain is five-hundred. But then again this game isn't fair from the start. . ."

I place my head in my hands. This idiot is about to bet it all, isn't he. . .

"Alright, one more round. I'm betting all of my remaining funds." Komaeda declares, earning an eye roll from Shuichi.

Miu laughs. "Ha! What an idiotic move! I'm going to enjoy taking all of your remaining chips." She barks. Nagito smiles easily.

"Whatever you say, Miss Miu."

Nagito then pulls out his remaining funds and dumps them all on the table. Miu snickers, shuffling the cards for a final time.

"Where's Hit?"