Getting Closer

(No one:

  Me: I can't do simple math to follow this made-up election)

 The rest of the week passed and now there are only nine days until the Election comes to a conclusion, eight before the school dance, making it the twenty-first day of the Election. It's getting close and Nagito is still only ranked third, only behind Celestia and someone called Miu Iruma. Maybe if he can gamble with Miu and win, he could be deserving of a gamble against Celestia Ludenberg herself.

   Celestia Ludenberg and Nagito Komaeda. . .I wonder which of them would be victorious in a gamble like that. I'd sure like to see who would win. . .

   "Hajime? Hey, earth to Hajime!" An annoyed voice calls out to me. 

   I shake my head slightly, letting my gaze refocus on a cross-looking Komaeda. 

   "Sorry," I offer sheepishly, "what were we talking about again?"

   "I was asking if you wanted to do something after school. I don't have any after school gambles planned yet for today." He huffs, folding his arms over his chest.

   I tilt my head. "Like all of us?" I question, "what would we even do?"

   His eyes glimmer deviously. "Well, we've never all gambled as a group before and I've got a pretty nice basement. How about a game of Poker?" He suggests. 

   I shake my head firmly. "Are you kidding? You're just going to take all of our money, there's no point!" 

   He rolls his eyes. "It's not my fault you suck at gambling~" Komaeda teases, "besides, it's all in good fun. And we don't have to gamble money. We can gamble like potato chips or something."

   I grunt. "I've had my fill of gambling, I get enough of it here. But sure, we'll hang out in your basement, sounds fun."

   "You're just mad you can't win against me." He pouts. I take a step closer to him.

   "I won your heart, didn't I?" I point out smugly, making his cheeks go pink.

   "That-That's different!" He defends. I hum.

   "Um-hmm, sure it is."

  -

   "Holy sh-this is where Komaeda lives?!" I exclaim incredulously from the backseat of Chiaki's car. Sonia looks down at her phone.

   "Yes, this is the address Nagito gave and Shuichi confirmed." She responds. 

   In front of us is a large, eggshell-white villa-like mansion. It's got to have at least five flours and covers two-fifty feet of land or something. Komaeda lives like this? His family must be loaded. . . And to gamble how he does? He must be well taken-cared of. . .

   "Why couldn't Shuichi come again?" Chiaki asks. Sonia giggles.

   "He says he's off with that boy he so obviously likes, Kokichi Oma. I think we found our fifth wheel's date to the dance!" She responds confidently.

   "So it's just you and Chiaki and me and Komaeda?"

   "Yep! It's kind of like a double date." Sonia smiles. 

   Chiaki parks the car in his crazy-long driveway. We all clamber out of her car, stretching our legs before moving over to his front door. The peach-haired girl gingerly rings the doorbell.

   It takes a second but we soon hear movement inside the home. The door is opened by a very tired-looking Nagito. His hair is all askew and his eyes are all red and puffy as if he had just been crying. He's wearing a white T-shirt over black sweatpants.