Chapter 9

Marrok had been glad to leave Treggorne behind, but not Jane. As the horses and cart arrived at White Haven he was already planning on when he would leave for Aberon.

Lord Baine and Gommery were in conversation with a merchant when they saw Marrok and Saul walking with the horses on the road from the village. They were both covered in a layer of dust and their skin had taken on a darkened glow. Lord Baine smiled as they drew closer, pleased to see his son once more, and left Gommery and the merchant to greet them.

"Marrok, how did you find Treggorne?" asked Lord Baine.

"It's not for me Father, although Saul and I could make use of a bathhouse after our journey," Marrok smiled.

"I can see," laughed Lord Baine. "Come, both of you. Let the farm hands take care of the horses and tell me of the celebrations I have missed."

"I hope you didn't offend Marute during your stay," said Gommery as Marrok and Saul drew near. "I can't suffer staying anywhere else in Treggorne."

"We were excellent guests," Saul said with a broad smile as he greeted his father.

Gommery embraced his son. "It's good to have you home."

Marrok and Saul followed Lord Baine through the courtyard and into the manor house. Servants flurried around at Lord Baine's command to prepare refreshments. Marrok and Saul went up to their chambers to freshen themselves and change out of their dusty, sweaty clothes before joining Lord Baine.

"So, the King is in good health and spirit I presume after his victories in the East," said Lord Baine, sitting at the head of a long wooden table laden with fresh bread, cheeses, fruit, and wine.

"He seems confident that he will keep control of the conquered lands. A few of the High Lords have stayed to oversee matters," Marrok replied, taking some grapes and picking them from their stalks.

"Your tone suggests you disagree," noted his father.

Marrok popped a grape into his mouth and considered his response. "I saw the slaves he brought back. Many, younger than myself when I left for the crusade to conquer the lands they were taken from. I fought to stop tyranny and fake gods from taking our way of life. I didn't do it for innocents to be torn from their families and put in chains for the King's pleasure," Marrok's face darkened.

"Then you were naive, my son, for that is what happens. Those in power will always suppress the weak and especially those of their enemies. You know that I have never held favour with the King or his court simply because I believe in a man's worth and not his title," replied Lord Baine.

"You're a better man for it," commented Saul.

"One day, Saul, I hope you'll prove your worth," chuckled Lord Baine.

The three men broke into laughter and the mood lightened as bowls of steaming stew were set before them. As they ate and drank, Marrok and Saul described the events of the King's victory celebration.

"You enjoyed pleasant company then," commented Lord Baine with a broad smile.

Saul and Marrok exchanged knowing glances as Marrok cleared his throat. "We met with Mary of Shryeton and Lady Jane of Aberon," Marrok paused and drank some wine. "I hope to travel to Aberon in the next day or so to check their journey home went well."

"You can send a messenger dove for that Marrok," replied his father with a raised brow and broad smile.

"Marrok is trying to," Saul paused for a moment as Marrok glared.

"I can gather the situation, Saul," said Lord Baine trying not to laugh. "Marrok, if you wish to travel to Aberon then I will encourage you, my son. Did you think I would do otherwise?"