Chapter 14

The morning sun rose into a scattering of pale clouds that drifted lazily eastwards as everyone gathered outside White Haven to bade farewell to Jane and her family. They were departing for Treggorne to purchase fabric for wedding outfits, as Seren had predicted during Marrok's visit to Aberon.

The horses patiently waited, shifting their hooves as the small wagon was being prepared for the long journey. A number of wine kegs now protruded out from beneath the sacking that covered the wagon, as Lord Hymos had agreed to transport it to merchants who regularly made purchase along the way.

"Thank you Lord Hymos," said Lord Baine. "It is good of you to do such a favour and transport some wine for us. It will save Saul and Gommery such a trip."

"I think I might enjoy the role of a merchant," Lord Hymos replied in jest. "It is to shortly become a family interest after all."

"Indeed," agreed Lord Baine, his smile broad.

Marrok stood next to Jane, holding her elbows as he talked softly to her. "Have a safe journey, my love. I wished we had had more time to spend alone."

"Soon you will have me to yourself, as your wife," replied Jane, looking up into Marrok's dark eyes. "I will find a trinket for you when we reach Treggorne. Something for you to hold onto for times when we may be apart."

"Once we're married, we will never be apart," Marrok bent down and kissed her softly.

"The horses are ready," said Seren.

Marrok and Jane both turned to Seren, Marrok unable to withhold a glare of contempt for her interruption.

"Come, Jane," called Lord Hymos. "We must be on our way. The journey to Treggorne is a long one."

Jane reached up kissed Marrok. "I'll be looking at up the stars and thinking of you, as you were on that last night in the palace gardens at Treggorne."

Marrok let her go and Jane walked with Seren to the carriage that had pulled up next to the small wagon. Marrok watched as Jane stepped up into the carriage, disappearing from his sight whilst her father, mother, and Seren joined her. Maifynn was already sat, wrapped in a dark cloak next to the wagon driver, her eyes fixed on the road down into the village.

The carriage pulled off slowly and the wagon jerked into motion behind it.

"Well, my son," said Lord Baine, walking over to stand by Marrok. "You have made a good choice in Jane."

"I know," Marrok replied as they watched the carriage slowly drive down the slope.

Marrok went into the kitchen to seek solace in Hatti and freshly baked bread. The room was quiet after the initial morning bustle and Hatti was alone, preparing pies for the oven. The short-haired mongrel that frequented the kitchen was sat at Hatti's heels, silently waiting to see if she would give him a morsel from the table.

"I'm baking your favoured game pie for tonight, master Marrok," said Hatti seeing him approach the table.

"I'll look forward to it, Hatti," Marrok replied, managing a faint smile.

"Would you like some mead?" she asked. "Ruthie brought some up from the village this morning."

Marrok nodded and sat on one of the stools at the table. Hatti wiped her hands in her skirt and filled two wooden mugs from a glazed earthenware pitcher and handed one to Marrok. He sniffed at the sweet, malty liquid and took a swig, as did Hatti.

"Well, I'm glad that woman's gone," said Hatti, getting back to rolling out the pastry upon the floured part of the tabletop.

Marrok looked at her sharply.