Chapter 13

The following morning Jane did not appear for breakfast. Concerned, Marrok went to the kitchen to see if the cook had received instructions for food to be taken to her room. The kitchen was bustling as usual. Several people busied themselves with different tasks, such as preparing vegetables and kneading bread ready for baking, washing and cleaning as they went. The fireplace and ovens radiated heat throughout the room as smoke escaped through a large chimney. One of the manor's dogs, a short-haired mongrel, lay curled on the floor near the fireplace seemingly unfazed by the commotion around him. The smell of roasting meats and baking bread mingled with the drying herbs hung from the beams that braced the ceiling. Cook's rounded flushed face burst into a smile upon seeing Marrok and she wiped her floury hands in her skirts as he approached.

"Has anyone asked for food in their room this morning, Nance?" Marrok asked.

"No, master Marrok, why do you ask?"

"Jane has not come down to join us for breakfast, nor Seren for that matter."

"She's likely tired from all the excitement yesterday. Shall I send a girl to check on them both?" she asked.

"Please, Nance."

"Ruthie," yelled the cook, calling to a girl scrubbing at the floor. "Go check on Lady Jane and Seren. See if they'll be wanting food brought up to their room this morning and let me know if they're well."

The girl quickly got up, knocking the pail of water next to her, making dirty water slosh onto the flagstone floor. "Yes cook," she replied, taking off like a rabbit being chased.

Nance sighed and turned back to Marrok. "I'll come tell you once Ruthie comes back."

"No, I'll wait here," Marrok replied taking to sit on a stool at the chunky wooden table in the centre of the kitchen.

Nance took the stool next to him and sat down, weaving her hands together and placing them on her lap. "Your mother would have been proud of you, Marrok. Coming through that bloody crusade in one piece and then finding yourself a wife."

"I know Nance, I wish she was here," Marrok replied.

The doorway leading out to the kitchen garden and pens where the livestock was kept, opened, allowing a cool breeze to moderate the heat within the room. The milkmaid entered, carrying two full pails, and walked across to the milk churn at the far side of the room. "Morning Nance," she called. "Morning Master Marrok," she added upon realising he was sitting beside the cook.Marrok and Nance both responded in kind and watched as the pails of milk were set down on the floor. The milkmaid prepared the churn and went to pick up one of the pails. "Oh, by the bones of the gods!" screamed the milkmaid backing away from the pails.

Nance got off her stool and walked over to see what the fuss was about. "What's the matter Lucy?" she asked.

"Look Nance, look," exclaimed Lucy, pointing to the pails of milk. "They've turned. The milk has turned."

"Oh, don't be silly girl," Hatti replied placing her hands onto her rounded hips. Her stern face, softened into disbelief as she looked at the milk in the pails. "They have too," she gasped. "You sure this milk was good before you brought it in?" asked Nance, her eyes narrowing.

"I'd have noticed summit like that Nance, you know I would," Lucy replied.

"Ben, go out and check 'em cows," Nance barked to a young lad who was sharpening a knife on a stone wheel. "Go on, go check."

He dropped the knife onto the floor with a clatter and ran out of the back door.

"Nance, what's the matter?" asked Marrok, walking over to see what the commotion was about.