Chapter 12

Farmhands were cutting the long grass in the pastures surrounding White Haven, sweating as they toiled under the harsh heat of the summer sun. The sweet smell of the hay, filled the hazy air as the pollen blew on the gentle breeze. As a carriage, followed by a wagon covered with sacking trundled along the nearby road, they stopped their work and watched as it passed by, leaving behind a cloud of dust.

As the road meandered, Jane looked out of the carriage window at White Haven. It was, as it was on previous visits she had made, but this time the place had a different meaning for her. Soon, it would be her home. Banners fluttered in the breeze from the corners of the White Haven Manor's rooftop. A white wolf standing on its hind legs, its mouth open, against black. Jane silently mused what it was going to be like to be the Lady of this place. Unlike Aberon, it was surrounded by villagers, many of whom worked the nearby land and tended to the vineyards that grew on the ledges cut into the hillside that supported White Haven at its peak.

The horses slowed as they pulled the carriage into the small square where many of the villagers lived and toiled. A red-faced blacksmith was hammering a length of iron against a large anvil but stopped to look as the carriage and wagon passed by. Word had spread quickly that a marriage was soon to take place and everyone was keen to catch a glimpse of the intended bride. Young boys who were play-fighting with sticks, a dog yapping at their heels, moved quickly to get out of the way as the procession passed out of the square and began the steady climb upwards to White Haven Manor. The boys gave chase, shouting playfully as they ran, causing the dog to bark. Coupled with the din of the wheels against the stony ground, Marrok was quickly alerted to the arrival of his future bride and family. Straightening his attire and running his hands through his hair, he stood ready to greet them.

As the carriage came to a halt, Marrok clenched his hands into fists and straightened them to relieve the tension. The driver of the carriage jumped down onto the sandy soil and held the door open allowing Jane, Lady Grace, and Lord Hymos to get out. Marrok's heart skipped a beat when Seren followed and brushed out the creases in her green satin dress.

"Did you have a good journey?" asked Marrok, glancing at Seren and then to Jane and Lord Hymos.

"It was hot and clammy, but I'm sure a plentiful supply of good wine will make it seem worthwhile," jested Lord Hymos.

"At White Haven, that you can be sure of Lord Hymos," Marrok assured him.

"I hope you don't mind, but Seren has accompanied us, as I still require her healer Maifynn," said Lord Hymos.

"Not at all," Marrok replied. "There is enough room, food, and wine for all. Please, follow me and I'll take you to greet my father," replied Marrok.

Once the wagon halted behind the stationary carriage, an old woman with long silver hair and sharp eyes within darkened sockets clambered down, assisted by the wagon driver. She looked at Marrok with interest, and he could not help feeling uncomfortable in her presence.

They followed Marrok through the wide wooden doors of White Haven into the entrance hall. Tapestries hung on the walls, depicting woodland scenes. A coat of arms hung proudly above the doorway into a long corridor, bearing the same white wolf that adorned the banners strung upon the rooftops.

The corridor led into a room with a long narrow table below a high vaulted ceiling, its blackened beams decorated with carvings of white flowers that resembled roses. Leaded windows along the south wall let in the summer sunlight, casting criss-cross shadows upon the flagstone floor. The table was set with highly polished pewter goblets and plates, with bowls of fruits and nuts placed upon a black silk runner that ran the length of the table. Torches hung in steel rings along the walls and wooden rings spiked with candles hung from chains that fell from the ceiling beams.