Chapter 19

Gommery took the lit torch that hung in an iron ring beside the doorway that led into a cavern that had been hewn from the chalky bedrock below White Haven itself. Lord Baine took a large bunch of iron keys from his belt to unlock the small wooden door with one of the well-worn keys and swung it inwards. He stepped aside to let Gommery pass into the gloom before them. As Gommery walked through the doorway, it revealed stone steps, polished smooth with wear that led down into the darkness of the cavernous space. Gommery held the torch high as he made his way followed by Lord Baine.

"I would normally trust you whole-heartedly on these matters Gommery, but I must taste for myself the vintage you have picked out for the wedding celebration," said Lord Baine.

"It's only proper that you do. If it was for Saul's wedding celebration I would insist on the same myself," Gommery replied.

Lord Baine reached his hand to the wall for support as he trod carefully down the stone treads. "The walls, Gommery. They appear damp?"

They both stopped halfway down the steps as Gommery held the torch to the pale rock and touched it with his hand. It glistened in the torchlight and when he removed his hand from it he looked at his palm. It glistened with moisture. "That's not right," Gommery muttered.

"We've not had heavy rain this season."

"Will the wine spoil?" asked Lord Baine, his brow creasing.

"I shouldn't think so, but I'll check all the same," replied Gommery turning back to descend the rest of the steps.

Lord Baine followed and suddenly cried out.

Gommery turned back, wide-eyed. "My Lord," he shouted. Gommery dropped the torch and reached out for Lord Baine, who had slipped and lost balance. There was a loud thud as his body hit the hardness of the cavern's floor. The torch sputtered as it too hit the ground and rolled not far from where Lord Baine's body lay still, blood seeping from his head and pooling around him.

Gommery shouted for help as he made his way as quickly as he dared down the remaining steps, almost slipping himself on the moisture that seemed to cling to them. He grabbed the torch and crouched on the floor next to Lord Baine, who was gasping in shallow breaths. Gommery cried out again, in the hope someone would hear him.

"Gommery, is that you?" called a voice. "What's wrong?"

"Ruthie?" Gommery called back, panic obvious in his voice, "Ruthie, is that you?"

"Yes, Gommery, it's me. What's the matter?"

"Go get help, Ruthie," yelled Gommery. "The master has fallen from the steps. Go get help now, girl." Gommery reached out to Lord Baine as he heard Ruthie run from the doorway above. "My Lord," he said, beginning to weep. "My Lord, speak to me," he urged, fearing the worst.Lord Baine's eyes closed and Gommery put a hand on his master's chest as he bent down to listen to his breathing. It was shallow and quiet, but he was still alive. As he waited in the pale torchlight within the gloom, sat on the damp and cold floor next to his master, Gommery wept."It's not your time yet," Gommery whispered. "We've got your son's wedding to see and lots more after that."

It had seemed like forever had passed when Gommery finally heard voices and footsteps. "Watch out for those steps," he shouted. "There's moisture seeping through the rock from somewhere and those steps are slippery," he warned.

Shadowy figures, partially lit with torchlight, descended the steps into the cavern. The wooden kegs, blocks of salt, and rounds of cheese that surrounded the people who quickly gathered around Lord Baine looked like silent mourners.

"He still breathes," said Gommery, bringing his emotions under control in sight of the others. "Ruthie, you take this torch," he instructed, holding it out to her. "Now, you light the way up the steps and we'll follow you up with the master."