Chapter 15

Maifynn's green eyes gleamed in the moonlight of the garden as Seren's gaze met hers."I can no longer bear to see you so forlorn," said Maifynn, tightening her grip around Seren's hands. "I remember the pain myself of unrequited love, many moons ago. That pain is still bitter in my heart and I cannot see you bear it too, my child."

"What you suggest is witchcraft, is it not?" asked Seren.

"Not witchcraft, my child, but the power of my kin. If you so wish it, I will ensure there is no union between Jane and the one you so love," Maifynn loosened her grasp.Seren opened her hands to look upon the tiny fragment of black silk and thought on Maifynn's words.

"You must understand though, Seren. If I do this for your happiness, there will be a price to pay for it," warned Maifynn. "You cannot interfere with The Fates and expect them to act in kind."

Seren caressed the silk within her hand and looked into Maifynn's eyes. "Whatever the price, I shall pay it," Seren replied.

"Then I shall I prepare what I must," said Maifynn, taking the piece of silk from Seren and replacing it into a pocket in her skirt.

                                                  ...........................................................

Jane awoke refreshed and eager to start the day. She looked across to Seren's bed and found it empty and hurried herself out of the bed and into clean clothes. She was greeted in the entrance hall by the tall man who had welcomed them the day before and he took her into the breakfast room to join her parents who were already seated.

"Have you seen Seren this morning?" Jane asked, sitting down.

"I've been told she has gone to visit someone at the palace. She left a message to say she will meet us later this afternoon," replied Lady Grace.

The pale-faced girl with her hair braided back poured some iced tea into a stoneware cup and set a bowl of honeyed oats onto the table in front of Jane.

"I, myself, must leave you both today, for I wish to extend an invitation to your wedding to several families that reside in Treggorne," said Lord Hymos. "You will be too busy to notice my absence though if you intend to purchase fabrics for your wedding outfits today."

"You must also choose something," warned Lady Grace. "It is your daughter's wedding after all. You cannot be seen to wear something you have for other occasions."

"Don't worry, my dear. We are here for a number of days at least. there is plenty of time for that," replied Lord Hymos.

"Your cough seems much better, Father," said Jane.

"It is, Jane, it is," replied Lord Hymos. "That tonic of Maifynn's has done more than cure my cough I think. I feel ten years younger," he slapped his chest in humour. "She too has risen early and taken the opportunity to visit someone here."

"It's not often any of us visit Treggorne," said Lady Grace. "I did not think that Maifynn would have any ties here though."

"It might just be an acquaintance, my dear, but that is Maifynn's business, not ours. I am glad she has been able to remain with us for so long. It has been kind of Seren to allow Maifynn to lend her services to me. That is something Aberon has always lacked, is a good healer," said Lord Hymos.

                                                       .......................................................

Seren was dressed in a cool sheer silk fabric, wrapped around a simple linen smock with plain leather sandals that strapped around her feet. She easily blended within the crowded marketplace of Treggorne as people bustled under the striped fabric awnings of the arcade, shaded from the harsh summer sun.