Chapter 24

It was a number of days before Marrok's fever broke and the delirious dreams he suffered to diminish. Mary remained at his side throughout except to watch Saul's pyre as it burned, his body turning to ash that escaped into the air and carried on the breeze.

As Marrok slept she would talk of Saul and their time together. At times, she spoke as if talking to Saul himself.

Marrok's eyelids fluttered and finally, he woke. The candles in the bedchamber had burned low and they provided little light, but there was a warm glow from the embers in the fireplace. Mary was dozing in the chair and Marrok failed to understand where he was or why Mary was there. His head throbbed and his limbs ached. Looking down, he saw the cloth bandaging wrapped around him and a fragment of memory returned. He shut his eyes again and tried to block it out. When he heard Mary stir beside him, he opened his eyes to find her smiling face looking down.

"How do you feel?" she asked.

Marrok went to speak and his voice broke, his throat dry with thirst.

"I'll get you a drink," said Mary grabbing a wooden cup from the table next to the bed and filling it with water from a pitcher. She helped him to raise his head and held the cup to his mouth while he drank.

"Thank you," he replied, his voice hoarse.

"Would you like some more?" she asked.

Marrok nodded and she filled the cup and helped him drink. Once finished, she set the cup and sat down beside him.

"Tell me of Jane and Saul," he asked.

"Do you remember what happened?" Mary asked.

"A little, I think. I remember riding through Pinewtych with Saul to get to Aberon. There were men on horseback. I seem to remember lying on a table in your kitchen," Marrok tried to think, but everything was still hazy and the candle flames blurred in his vision.

In a soft but steady voice, Mary told him of what she knew and of Saul's demise. "I received more news of Jane a day ago. I'm sorry Marrok, but she too has been taken from us." She tried desperately to hold back her tears but they came anyway. She let her head drop onto Marrok's chest and he put his arm around her as silent tears began to flow down his cheeks.

                                                   ...............................................................

Rena called from the other side of the bed chamber door. "I've brought some food and drink, my Lady."

"Come in Rena," Mary replied, making room on the table beside Marrok's bed.

Rena entered the room carrying a tray and placed it down. She looked at Marrok and smiled. 

"It's good to see you're improving Master Marrok."

"Thank you Rena," Marrok replied, shifting his body slightly and wincing in pain.

"Shall I help you sit up?" Rena offered.

Marrok attempted to shift his weight on his own and again winced in pain at the movement as Rena and Mary looked on with concern. "Yes, thank you, Rena," he grimaced. Rena walked to the other side of the bed as Mary went to take Marrok's weight on the other. Gradually they helped him to sit up, moving the pillows behind for support.

"Cook made some broth. She says it's good for building your strength up," said Rena.

"I hope it's better than her nettle soup," commented Mary, wrinkling her face in mock disgust. "If I fell ill, she would always insist I was given nettle soup." Mary shared a knowing smile with Rena.