CHAPTER | 04

||TWO YEARS LATER||

ʚ|| Yuri's POV ||ɞ

I tossed the ball back and Morie slammed it onto the other side of the net. It smacked into the wax floor and the ref blew the whistle allowing the crowd to blow up into a loud cheer.
   I looked up to see Yamaguchi cheering, I was expecting to see Kōshi and Daichi but they weren't there, just Tsukki and Yams. It was somewhat filling. They were my only friends and I knew that Kōshi and Daichi probably wouldn't be able to make it. I looked back up at Tsukki and Yams, the green haired boy had clealy dragged the beanpole along with him, he stood with his arms crossed.
   I felt weird that they had shown up to a game, didn't they have anything better to do? I was better friends with Yams than with Tsukki but Tsukki and I did have our moments.

   "We won!!" Mai cheered along with the rest of the team. "Line up!"

   I was tripped as we headed to line up but I caught myself. I glanced over at Morie, she looked even more agitated to see me. She's been looking like that since the starting of the Spring Tournament, basically since  the starting of the school year.
   We are so close to the Spring Tournament finals, so close to Nationals. The next game would be our chance to see if we actually make it to Nationals. We have made it quite far in the tournament. We had just won a hard game today against the Girls Nekoma high volleyball club.

  I became the official setter in my second year because in my first year I was a wing spiker. Before Imai had left she actually helped me a lot, I hated how happy she was but it somewhat made me feel better that she was the extrovert. She was the one who convinced the coach to let me be the official setter.
   It also helped when she paired me up with Mai, I guess she was expecting Mai to make captain and wanted me to be co-captain. Mai did become captain when the third years left but I denied the co-captain position.

   "Congratulations girls," Coach announced. "Remember this is not over yet. We are one match away from going to Nationals.
   Now let's get going, the next team is coming to warm up."

   "Be ready girls. If we win we'll be going to Nationals!" Mai announced.

   "Can you believe that?!" Rin asked her eyes sparkling as she handed me my towel and bottle. "You did great, Suga-chan."

   "Thanks." I whispered and we all gathered out things leaving the gym.

   "Don't mess us up." Morie shoved me into the wall.

   Pain shot up my chin but I just rubbed it and followed my team into the private waiting gym. Coach told us to get into positions and practice while she went to go talk to one of the scouts that came to watch us, so we did. We stopped practicing for a water break and Mai wanted to strategize so we walked over to her.

"Morie-san you should stand further back." Mai suggested.

"Tell Sugawara to aim properly." Morie growled at me. "Or here is an even better idea, she can talk to us!"

I ignored her and took a slip of my water as she lectured everyone about how I was the problem, and how it would be my fault if we lost, most of our team defended me saying I was the best setter we've ever had in a long time. Morie and the two other girls were the only ones to disagreed and I didn't say anything because I honestly didn't care, I thought I was good enough. I just wanted to play, believe it or not it actually made me happy.

"We're a team! If you can't act like it I'll have to ask coach to bench you." Morie gasped at Mai's suggestion.

"What about her?!" She aggressively pointed at me.