Following A Path(s5)

Cinder Fall scrapes the claws of her Grimm hand against an airship seat to the same slow rhythm of the girl scrubbing the floor. Neo is sitting in the seat, piloting the airship. Thunder rumbles and red lightning illuminates the dark clouds ahead, revealing the Whale Grimm. Focused on the whale, Cinder moves to her right to stand between the pilot's and co-pilot's seats.

Cinder: There.

Neo looks at Cinder and then at the whale with a frown. The airship flies past Manticores and Teryxes, soon arriving at a landing bay within the Grimm whale's flesh. She lands the ship on the platform furthest to the left.

Sometime later, Neo and Cinder walk up a set of bone stairs, leading to a large chamber. In the middle of this chamber, Salem is sitting on a throne made of bone. Neo stops and stares with her mouth slightly open, before walking forward to stand beside Cinder. She watches as Cinder kneels and places her right hand to her chest.

Cinder: My queen.

Salem stands from her throne and turns to face Cinder.

Salem: Cinder.

Salem slowly descends the steps of the platform on which her throne rests.

Salem: When I chose you as my vessel for the Maidens, I put my trust in you. So, I trust that you wouldn't possibly return to me empty-handed.

Cinder holds out the Relic of Knowledge.

Cinder: The Relic of Knowledge. I took it right from under Ironwood's nose.

Upon hearing this, Neo blinks her eyes rapidly in disbelief and looks at Cinder with an indignant expression. She then crosses her arms and glares. Tyrian's voice then draws her attention.

Tyrian: Outsmarting the general speaks less to your intellect and... more to his.

Tyrian steps out from the shadows behind Cinder while Salem takes the Lamp. He begins walking across the room.

Tyrian: After all, you were outsmarted by those children first.

Cinder: And according to radio chatter, that same general and his forces outsmarted you. A shame Watts never made it back.

Tyrian: I'm afraid the doctor was a necessary sacrifice. (pointing his tail at Neo) I do hope this little one doesn't become another.

Neo glares at Tyrian and lowers her arms with her fists clenched. Cinder turns to look at Salem, who adopts a look of suspicious curiosity as she speaks.

Salem: Who is she?

Cinder: Neopolitan has some very useful abilities and has proven to be a valuable asset.

Neo looks somewhat upset by Cinder's use of the word "asset".

Salem: Hm, you certainly do enjoy collecting assets.

Neo lowers her gaze, clearly displeased. The squelching noise of the nearby membrane door catches her attention, and she turns to see Emerald Sustrai, Mercury, and Hazel entering the room. Upon laying eyes on Cinder, Emerald smiles.

Emerald: Cinder.

Emerald begins running across the chamber toward Cinder.

Emerald: You're here! I knew you'd co--

Cinder: Quiet.

Emerald stops with a hurt expression on her face, glancing at Tyrian who clicks his tongue in disappointment.

Tyrian: So devoted to someone so incompetent. While the good doctor and I were advancing the will of our goddess, dismembering the very body of this kingdom... you were merely atoning for past failures.