Chapter Three

emma's pov

kiara told me to meet at the main area of the beach at 4:30. i showed up a little early because i didn't want to make a bad impression on her and her friends. a few moments later i see kiara running towards me with her surfboard, along with her friends. there's three guys and another girl, all carrying their surfboards under their arms. one boy was very tall and blonde. another one slightly shorter with shoulder length brown hair. the girl was very small and had long blonde hair. she was holding hands with the shorter boy so i assumed they were dating. the final guy was the shortest of the 3 and he was dark skinned with short brown hair. "hey emma!" kiara greeted with a smile but i couldn't help but notice the blonde guy walking with the rest of the group. he looked very handsome, from that distance anyway.

as they got closer i was shocked. i had recognized not only the tall blonde, but all the boys. the group from the house next door. "hey kiara," i said in return, maintaining eye contact with the group. "you can call me ki. and these are my friends." she pointed to them individually as she said the names "jj, john b, pope, and sarah." i stared at who i now know as jj, waiting for him to make some stupid remark of our encountering last night, but to my surprise he didn't. i introduced myself to the group before we made our way into the water.

the waves here were bigger than the ones in hawaii, but i could handle it. i hopped on my surfboard and starting shredding some waves. the rest of the group were all surfing too, and they were pretty good. jj made his way closer to me as we paddled. "you're a pretty good surfer," he yelled. i looked at him with a confused face saying, "yeah, thanks," and paddled away. did jj not recognize me? he seemed kinda surprised, but just continued to surf.

we surfed till about what looked like 6:00. we all laid on the sand as the sun started to set. "wait so you actually spat a smoothie out of your nose?" i teased. "yeah, it went everywhere!" sarah exclaimed. we all burst into laughter when all of a sudden jj said, "should we tell her?" "tell me what?" i asked. "no shut up jj," whispered pope, he probably thought i couldn't hear him. "wait wait wait you can't just say 'should we tell her' without telling me," i giggled. "uhm, maybe another day emma," kiara said with a worried look on her face. "oh alright fine!" i said nudging her.

i started walking back to my house when i heard footsteps behind me. i spun around and looked up to see another tall blonde boy, but this one was different. he was a kook. he was wearing what i could tell was expensive beach shorts and sunglasses with a polo shirt. "where do you think your going little lady," he said putting his hand on my shoulder. "none of your business," i told him trying to brush him off. i continued to walk before the boy turned me around again. "look dude it's getting la-" i tried to say before he grabbed me really tightly, bringing his face closer to mine. i squirmed trying to get this creep away from me but before i knew it, the grip was released completely. "get the fuck away from her topper," i heard a familiar voice yell. jj. "what're you gonna do about it you filthy pogue?" and with that jj punched the guy straight in the face. topper punched him back until john b and pope appeared to break the two apart. "wow you make quite the impression jj," i said shaking my head and walking home. "wait what's that supposed to mean? i just helped you out!" he yelled running up behind me. "you really don't remember me?" i asked. "remember you? when have i met you before today?" he asked. "wow, you really don't impress," i stated and walked away.