Chapter Five

jj's pov

i kept running away from my house with no destination. i was no longer in the mood to surf, and i didn't even have my board. i noticed i wasn't too far from john b's house, so i continued in that direction. as i walked up to his driveway i saw sarah exiting. "hey jj, how's is going?" she asked. "same old same old, you know how it is," i answered. "sure do. i'm on my way home, i'll catch you later," sara finished. i waved goodbye as she walked further and further away from the house.

i knocked on the door and john b answered pretty quickly. "hey man what's up?" he greeted me with our handshake. "it's my dad john b, it's getting worse and worse at home," i told him. "come in and tell me what happened," he said. i entered his house and it was pretty messy too. he was supposed to be living with his uncle but his uncle was never around. "so.." john b said waiting for me to tell him what happened. "right. so remember that party we threw a few days ago?" "the one i told you you'd regret?" john b teased. "yeah yeah, that one," i said rolling my eyes. "well i tried my best to clean up the mess last night but i think my dad must've found some weed and drinks lying around. anyway, i was leaving my house to head to the beach and he choked me. against the wall this time," i told him. "jheez jj it's not healthy for you to be living in that house. i mean, you're welcome to stay here as long as you're alright with the smell," john be said laughing. i laughed too. "dude, nothing smells worse than smelly patricia," i added. patricia was a girl that attended our school. she always ate beans for lunch and well, you know, was very gassy. john b laughed some more. "thanks for the offer man, but i don't know if i can accept that, you being with sarah and all. i'll find my way around," i said. "i'm sure she wouldn't mind, but if you don't want to that's alright. the door is always open," john b explained.

we grabbed some beers and hung out for a bit. ever since john b and sarah started dating before our adventure last summer, the two of us haven't hung out the way we used to. "so john b, have you and sarah made it to third base yet?" i asked while making some kissing faces. "ugh jj will you ever grow up?" he asked. "nope. i'm a free spirit that can't be contained," i said as i spread out my arms. "i pity the girl that ends up with you," he said. "speaking of, is there any girl?" he asked while nudging me a little. my mind immediately went to emma. "nah, single pringle," i joked. "there's seriously no one you're interested in? what about emma? she's pretty cute." "wow john b. calling other girls cute while being with sarah? how could you?" i teased to trying and change the subject. didn't work though. "seriously jj, she seems nice. although if i remember correctly, she seemed pretty angry with you yesterday after you pulled her away from topper. what was that all about?" asked john b. "turns out, she's my next door neighbour. she stopped by our party to tell us to keep it down, but i completely disregarded her and her words," i said looking down. "huh. have you spoken to her since?" "yeah i saw her getting home after surfing and i apologized to her. i told her i wasn't sober and she said she understood," i explained. "interesting," john b smiled and took a sip of beer. "it meant nothing. you were right, she's just nice." "well she lives right next door and she seems to be good friends with ki so you'll probably be seeing a lot of her this summer." said john b "yeah i guess we'll see. i better get going," i told him. "alright see you later jj," "see ya."