Chapter Twenty

jj's pov

we walked back home once again so i could grab my van and take emma to marley's diner. they had the best food in the outer banks and it wasn't too expensive. we pulled up to the restaurant and emma looked surprised. "you mean to tell me that your favourite restaurant isn't the wreck?" she giggled. "don't tell kiara," i joked and she laughed harder. "oh that's the first thing i'm gonna do the next time i see her." "snitch." we walked inside and a waiter got us a table. "what do you usually have?" she asked. "the seafood platter. they're lobster here is amazing," i said. "that sounds great and all, but i'm actually allergic to shell fish," she said. "oh sorry i didn't know," i apologized. "don't worry about it, it's not that severe. i might just go with their so called 'famous burger.'" "that never disappoints." we spoke until the food finally arrived. "isn't it the best food you've ever had?" i teased. "i gotta admit, it's pretty good," she said. we ate our food and i paid for our meal. "i've got one last place on my list," i said getting into the van. "sounds good."

we pulled up to the side of a hill in basically the middle of nowhere with a large oak tree. "this place is beautiful," emma said getting out of the van. "just wait for the sun to set," i assured. i sat down under the tree and emma sat between my legs. "thanks for today, it was lots of fun," she said getting comfortable. "yeah i bet you're glad you skipped work today huh?" i laughed. "yeah yeah." we laid there listening to the wind rustle through the leaves on the tree. "this is so relaxing, how'd you find this place?" "i grabbed my van one day when i couldn't bare to be home anymore, i went wherever the road took me, which happened to be here. ever since then i've come here when i needed to be alone," i explained. "so i'm the first person you've ever brought here?" she asked. "yeah. look, the sun's setting," i pointed out. "wow this is a great view," she said amazed. "i couldn't agree more," i kissed her forehead. we laid there quietly admiring our surroundings until the sky was full of stars. "look at that one, it's huge," said emma pointing at the sky. "that's the north star," i said. "wait did you see that? that was a shooting star!" she said sitting up. "i've never seen one of those before," i added. "what'd you wish for?" "if i told you, it wouldn't come true," i said. she looked at me with a silly face and laid back down. "who would've thought we'd be where we are today," emma said. "i know i didn't," i said. "me neither." we waited a little longer before i decided to take her home.

"would you like to spend the night again? i don't see my dad," emma offered. "sure but let me grab my bag," i answered. without thinking i grabbed my backpack with all my stuff and walked over to emma. she unlocked the door and we went to her room. "thanks again for today," she said. "anything for you." i brushed her hair behind her ear and kissed her lips very gently. "it's kinda chilly in here," she said. "you can wear my sweater, it's in my bag," i said. "alright." she reached into my bag and what happened next was definitely not planned.