Chapter Eighteen

emma's pov

i've been calling jj and everyone i know for the past day or so and not one of them answered. i don't know if i should be worried about them, or worried about myself. have they just cut me out of their lives? that wouldn't make any sense. jj and i literally just started dating. was he just using me? i didn't have a shift at the wreck today, but i figured i'd find kiara there. i put on shorts and a t-shirt and decided to stop at jj's house first. as i expected, no answer. i continued down to the wreck. i saw topper and rafe hanging around a store near the diner. ew. i walked in and looked around for a bit. no sign of kiara. okay this is really weird. i found kiara's dad and decided to ask him if he knew what was going on. "hi mr. carrera," i greeted. "hi emma, what're you doing here? it's the weekend, you don't have a shift," he replied. "yeah i know, i was wondering if you've heard from kiara?" i asked. "funny you ask, i was gonna ask you the same thing. i have no idea where she is, she didn't come home last night." "oh, okay. thanks though," i said. what the hell is going on?

i didn't know what to do. the last place i could think of was the beach. i had learned from kiara to always have a swimsuit underneath my clothes here. just in case. i arrived at the beach but i couldn't find them. surprise surprise. they can't all be in trouble can they? i needed a distraction from all this wondering so i went for a swim. the water was the perfect temperature. not too hot or cold. i wish i'd brought my surf board. i sat in the sand for a little when i looked up and saw jj standing above me. "jj? where the fuck have you been? you and everybody else just disappeared without telling me anything, for all i knew you could be dead!" i yelled. "i know i know, i'm sorry. we had some personal stuff we had to deal with," he said. i needed a moment to comprehend what he just said. "okay look, i know i'm new here and you guys obviously have stuff going on that doesn't involve me, and that's alright. however, i'd like to be notified before everyone just ghosts me! including my own boyfriend!" i yelled again. "i know emma i'm sorry. i should've told you ahead of time. do you want to come over? i've missed you," he said with his famous smirk. "ugh you're lucky you're cute." jj picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. "damn right."

we walked over to his house and we saw his dad passed out on the porch. "shit, i didn't think he'd be home," said jj. "it's okay, i think my dad is working late, let's go to my place." we entered through my window just in case. "so how's my girl been?" he asked as we plopped on the bed. "your girl? has a nice ring to it, no?" i asked now smiling. "i'd say so," he said pinning me down to the bed. jj removed his shirt and pressed his lips against mine. "i really have missed you," he said. "it's been two days," i laughed and he continued to kiss me.

we kissed for another little while. "so what was this matter you needed to sort out?" i asked. the boy stared blankly for a moment. "it's about that fishing competition. it's an annual thing, we want to participate in it again." "maybe i can help you guys?" i offered. "as much as i'd love that, we've  got a full team," said jj. "oh, alright. well good luck." "yeah, but let's not worry about that tonight," he said kissing me again.