Chapter Twenty Six

jj's pov

honestly i'm surprised emma agreed to come, but i was happy she said yes. i really needed someone, i really needed her. i opened the car door for her and she climbed in the passenger seat. i started the van and we arrived at john b's house shortly after. "thank you for agreeing to this." "of course," she smiled lightly. john b left kiara, pope, and i each a key to his house just in case we ever needed to get in. i opened the door, turned on the light, and headed straight for the kitchen to grab a beer. "want one?" i asked. "why not?" i tossed emma a beer. the two of us sat at the island. "so all this happened because your dad found the gold?" she asked. "he was drunk, and he said we were rich and that i hid it from him. he just wants the money for more fucking cocain. that's all he cares about." "i'm sorry this happened to you jj, i am," she said. "we should probably get you cleaned up. your face is a mess," she added. "yeah you're probably right."

john b kept all his medical stuff in the washroom. we've both been beaten up a lot more than we'd care to admit. i applied a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol to my cheek but it stung too much and i flinched. "here let me do it," emma said grabbing the cotton ball. "sit up there." i hopped up on the counter so she could apply the alcohol. i flinched again and she grabbed my head. "you're only making this harder than it needs to be," she said. as she focused on my cheek, i focused on her. her long brown hair was still wet and her green eyes sparkled in the light. without even thinking, i kissed her. "woah what're you doing jj?" "i uh- i'm sorry. i didn't mean to do that," i said. "look maybe i should just go." "no! please don't leave. i didn't mean to scare you off. please, stay." "i'm sleeping in the bed," she said and she stormed out of the room. shit. i put all the stuff back where it belonged and shuffled over to the couch. i stared into nothing for a while before finally falling asleep.

"jj! jj wake up!" i groaned and opened my eyes to see emma leaning over me. i sat up. "what's going on?" i rubbed my eyes. "you've been yelling in your sleep for the past 10 minutes. saying something about 'don't leave me, it was a mistake' yada yada yada," she said. "i did?" "yeah. was that about me?" she asked. i felt the blood rushing to my cheeks. "uh, yeah. us not being together has taken a larger toll on me than you probably thought. i know you think i'm some fucked up kid with daddy issues that likes to screw people over, but that's not it emma. i- i think i'm in love with you," i blurted. she looked at me in shock. we stared at each other in silence before she cupped my face and kissed me. "i think i'm in love with you too jj. but this is bad. you hurt me really bad," she said moving away. "i know, but i want you emma. no one else, just you." "are we doing this jj? are you sure you want this commitment. this is your last chance. no more lies," she said. "i want this." i pulled her back towards me and i kissed her. but this kiss was different than any other we've shared. it was love. we've had our ups and downs, but this just felt right. she made her way on top of me and pulled off my shirt. she placed her hand back down on my body. "ow," i said. "kinda soar," i teased. "oh jj," she laughed and kissed me once me more.