Chapter Seven

emma's pov

a couple seconds after jj knocked on the door, john b opened it. "oh hey guys, i didn't expect you to come together!" john b said while winking at jj. what's that supposed to mean? "it wasn't planned," jj spat. john b giggled and i looked at jj kinda confused. he just shrugged and we made our way inside.

"we're just waiting on pope," john b said as we walked to the couch holding kiara and sarah. "sounds good," i replied. i greeted everyone and sat down between sarah and kiara. "soo are you two you know, like a thing?" sarah cooed. jj looked really embarrassed so i answered. "no. we came together because i didn't know where john b lived, and jj is my neighbour so i asked him," i said. "wait wait wait, y'all are neighbors??" kiara asked. "yeah," jj answered while scratching the back of his head. he seemed really nervous about the topic. weird. i honestly haven't even thought twice about the whole dating thing since i've been here. when i first met jj i thought he was one of those jerks that just wanted to get into girls' pants, but after he apologized and him offering to drive me here, maybe i was wrong. he seems sweet, and he is pretty cute, but i barely know the guy.

moments after my little thought cycle, there was a knock on the door. jj answered it, and pope appeared at the front of the living room. "hey," everyone said. "hi guys, sorry i'm late. my dad needed some help with the business," he said sounding out of breath. "no worries," said john b as he plopped on a chair. jj was leaning against the door frame looking very distracted. "jj, you good?" kiara asked him with a concerned face. jj looked up kinda startled, "what? yeah i'm fine." "okay?" kiara said turning to me with a little giggle. "so emma, how did you like your first day on the job?" kiara asked me. "wait emma you have a job? where do you work?" asked pope. "kiara gave me the waitressing job at the wreck. today was my first day. and to answer your question ki, it wasn't bad at all," i explained. i looked over at jj, since he was the only other person that knew about the job before right now, but he just stared out the window.

in the meantime, john b offered everyone a beer. "ah refreshing," sarah said as she took a sip. "nothing like a cold corona," jj said, finally snapping out of his daze. the whole group spoke and laughed for a long time before people one by one started to leave. these guys are really nice. "goodnight everyone, i'll see you tomorrow at 1:00 emma," kiara said before exiting. me and jj were the only guests left. "we should probably get going too," i said to jj. "if you don't mind," i continued. john b shot jj yet another odd glance but jj gave john b a stare that i could tell read "shut the fuck up" and turned to me. "yeah of course i'll give you a ride. let's go." and i followed him to the van.

"what was that all about?" i asked jj as we entered the car. "what?" he asked in return. "all those looks john b gave you?" "it's nothing. he's weird that's all," he explained. "oh okay," i said. "you sound disappointed," jj said while chuckling. "no no, just curious. that's all," "sure party pooper." "that nickname is gonna stick isn't it?" i asked annoyed. "it's a reminder of the first time we met!" jj explained excitedly. "which wasn't very great," i reminded him. "i thought you were over that?" jj looked at me for a few seconds while smiling. "i am. i'm just saying," i told him and i looked out the window. was jj flirting with me? the rest of the ride home was pretty silent. he parked the car by my house. "you could've just parked in your driveway. it's literally a 10 second walk" i said laughing. "what kind of gentleman would i be if i didn't drop the girl off at her house?" he asked with a cute smile. "well in that case you better walk me all the way to my door," i teased. jj opened his car door. "oh my god i'm kidding! get your ass home, it's late!" i said giggling. jj laughed. "your loss!" "sure is lover boy," i answered. "goodnight," i heard coming from the car. "goodnight."

i unlocked my door and walked inside. i noticed all the lights were still on, which was strange. "where the hell have you been?" i then saw my dad standing in the kitchen. "what? i told you i'd be out for a bit tonight," i said confused. "it's 12:00 in the morning emma! i called you so many times but you never answered! what type of behaviour is this? and now you just have a boy driving you around? what is going on?" my dad yelled. "nothing dad! that boy is just a friend. we met up with some other friends tonight that's all!" i yelled back. "just a friend my ass! you're grounded!" my dad yelled as i walked up to my room. ugh.