Chapter Twelve

jj's pov

i knew i fucked up badly with emma earlier. i saw her in her room so i decided to talk to her. i knocked on her window and she looked at me, and back up to the ceiling. shit. i knocked a few more times. she got up and opened the window with a groan. "are you crazy? you're going to get me in trouble," she said and climbed outside. "look emma, what i said earlier about that whole 'i didn't want to hurt your feelings' thing, wasn't what i meant to say." "then what did you mean to say jj?" i knew i wouldn't be able to say what i wanted her to know, so i showed her. i grabbed her face lightly and brought my lips to hers. she was startled at first but kissed me back. "wait! you think you can just kiss me after all that and everything will be okay?" she asked madly. "no i- i just wanted to show you that i like you emma. i only just met you but you make me feel something that no one else does. i wanted to kiss you earlier at breakfast but i was nervous and took the pussy way out. i lied about surfing because i just didn't know how to feel or what to do. when i tried explaining how much i liked you earlier, i panicked. i'm sorry," i explained. i waited to see what she was going to say, but she just pulled me in for another kiss, a more passionate one this time. "wait you're not mad?" i asked surprised. "well i'm not happy, but i'm glad you finally told me the truth," she said. "i'm sorry i didn't tell you sooner. i've never done this before, that's all." "ever?" she asked with a giggle. "oh shut up," i said and i grabbed her by her waist and pulled her in for another kiss. i cupped her face and she had her fingers in my hair. "you know, for someone who has never done this before, you're pretty good at it," she smiled. what a beautiful smile. "hey hey hey, i've kissed before." i leaned her against the wall. we stayed there for a few minutes. "you want to come to my place? i'd love to get to know you better," i explained. "sure just let me grab my stuff," she said as she crawled back into her room. i waited for her by the window. she showed up a few minutes later and we walked over to my place.

"so what would you like to know," she said as we laid in bed. i had her in my arms and played with her hair. "anything." "well, i grew up in hawaii with my parents. i went to a private school with a few friends for a while until my parents got divorced. i lived with my dad and only saw my mom on weekends. my dad got a job offer in outer banks and forced me to come with him. and here i am," she said. "very interesting," i said and she sat up. "what about you? what's your story" she asked. "well as you know my mom left us and i've been living with my dad. i met john b and the rest of the crew at school. we weren't friends with sarah for the longest time until she helped us with our little adventure last summer. shit i wasn't supposed to say that. "what adventure? is this what you guys were hiding from me on that day we all went surfing?" she asked. what do i do? "uh yeah it is. it's not a big deal though. we just entered a fishing contest to see who could catch the largest fish. legend says a rare colourful fish lives in our ocean and if you find it you immediately win the contest. sarah helped us find it." i told her. "that's it? that's what you couldn't tell me?" "yeah, kiara didn't want people knowing we cheated. she doesn't like bad publicity," i said. "well your secret is safe with me," she said sealing her lips. what have i done?

we stayed up almost all night talking. just those couple hours we spent together and i feel like i've known her for years. i learned about her parents and her old friends. i shared some stuff about what it's been like living with my dad and she really seems to understand. "you know, if you ever need someone to talk to, i'm always here. i may not understand everything or always know what to say, but i'm here for you," she said. "that really means a lot emma." the conversation started to die down, and eventually she fell asleep in my arms.