Chapter Twenty Two

jj's pov

it's been a week without talking to or even seeing emma. i told the rest of the group that emma found out, and honestly they felt worse about our situation than being angry about the fact that she knew. kiara had said that emma hadn't shown up to any of her shifts, and i haven't seen her around the island either. the outer banks is a small place, if no one has seen emma anywhere, that must mean she's been home. i really want to talk to her, explain my feelings to her, but i knew she didn't want to hear it . this may be the only girl i've ever had true feelings for, and i blew it. i'm such an idiot. i needed to keep my mind off all the negative and head down to the beach. i grabbed my board and was on my way.

i got to the beach and the waves were pretty big. there was supposed to be a storm rolling in soon, but the waves were still surfable for now, so i thought. i hopped up on my board and guided myself towards the waves. i surfed a few good ones, but when i got ready to stand up this time, a wave completely took me out. i'm a pretty good swimmer but i couldn't help myself out of this. i panicked and tried to keep my head above the water but i grew weak. eventually i was completely submerged and everything went black.

i woke up and my vision was really blurry. "where am i?" i must've said out loud. "the hospital jj," i heard a familiar voice. it was john b. i was startled, not expecting an actual response. "what? why am i here?" i asked looking at a blurry figure. "you drowned in the water. what the hell were you thinking? you're so lucky that lifeguard saved your ass," he said. i laid in shock as the memory slowly started to come back to me. i looked up and i saw another figure at the door. emma? no it couldn't be. the room was silent for a bit before i heard her voice. "how is he?" "not well. barely conscious," john b replied. "emma? you're, you're here?" i asked trying to sit up. "don't move big guy," john b said holding me down. "kiara came to my door. she told me you were in an accident," she explained. "thank you for coming," i replied and the room fell silent again. "i'm going to let you two be," john b said exiting the room. "look emma." "now is not the time jj, we'll talk later okay?" said the girl now beside my bed. "yeah, okay," i said and my head fell back. before i knew it, i was fast asleep.